Is It Possible to Get the Nose That I Want? (photo)

I am not satisfied with my nose. It's okay when I don't have any expression on my face but when I smile it spreads wide and hangs down at the tip so it has a sort of wide flat appearance which I am unhappy with. I would like for my septum (not sure if that's the correct name lol) to be a tad bit slimmer, I want my nose and nostrils not to spread as wide when I smile, to be takin in and I would like for the tip of my nose to sit up not drop down. Is it possible to get the nose that I want?

Decrease the Width and Raise the Tip with Rhinoplasty

+1

The width of the nose can be decreased.  The bony nasal width and the width at the nostrils can be decreased.  The tip can be elevated and the movement of the tip downward during animation can be improved as well.   Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Wide noses that hang can certainly be slimmed and raised

+1

With that said, you asked if it would be the nose that you "want." It all depends on your expectations. I find that a personal discussion with computer imaging and sample photos of patients with similar noses is very important in helping to determine if we can really get the nose you want.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Droopy tip and wide ala rhinoplasty

+1

It's important to have realistic goals and expectations with this nose. Thick tip and alar skin will be an impediment to refine the tip of this nose. An alar- plasty can be performed to narrow the wide nostrils and tip sculpting/suturing techniques can be performed to refine and narrow the tip. Osteotomies may be performed to narrow the nasal bones if required.

Rhinoplasty in African-American Noses

+1

A rhinoplasty to improve your width and tip can be performed.  This is a common request for many patients.

Rhinoplasty for the wide under projected nose..

+1

Yes your nose can look better. I often do this for AA noses since this problem is quite common in my 35 years of doing these. Better non smiling photos would be helpful.

Rhinoplasty can keep tip up and reduce nostril spreading.

+1

Hi.

Of course you need a detailed physical exam and then a detailed surgical plan.  Just going by your pictures, some of the things you need are a collumellar strut for tip support and nostril base reduction.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Rhinoplasty for tip and nostrils

+1

Dear Rm723,

• All of those goals are possible, some are easier to achieve than others
  • Fixing a droopy tip is easy, narrowing the nostrils can also be done
  • The only thing that be limited by the thickness of your skin is how narrow you can get the tip...and it will definitely be an improvement
  • If you live in NJ, I would recommend the Glasgold Group in Highland Park, I did my training there and they have fantastic results and experience

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Your nose can be improved

+1

You can have an improvement but you need to be realistic and speak to the surgeon. You have a difficult nose to get great definition -- but it can be improved.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Is It Possible to Get the Nose That I Want?

+1

It is, but your nose is very difficult to correct, consult a very good qualified plastic surgeon.

Spanish translation provided by doctor: 

Si, se puede corregir, pero su nariz es muy dificil de tratar, tiene que consultar a un cirujano plastico muy experimentado.  

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

There are limits to what can be achieved by rhinoplasty.

+1

The surgeon has a good bit of freedom in reshaping the nose during rhinoplasty. But the anatomic features of the nose restrict this. Video imaging is a good way the the patient to know the surgeon thinks he can accomplish in the operating room.