How Long Does Swelling Last After Tt and Lipo and when Can I Start to Do Sit Ups?

go long does swelling last after tt and lipo and when can i start to do sit-ups/

Swelling after a tummy tuck

+1

Most of your swelling should be out around 6 weeks after a tummy tuck although some patients can definitely have a slower course.  I recommend sit ups 6 weeks post-op.

Resolution of swelling after a tummy tuck and lipo and when to start sit ups

+1

Generally a vast majority of the swelling from a tummy tuck and liposuction will have resolved between 4 - 6 months after surgery but it can take up to a year for full maturation of your incisions and for the maximal resolution of the swelling.

To find out when you can begin doing sit-ups again, you should contact your plastic surgeon for recommendations. For my patients, they typically wait 8 weeks before they can attempt to do sit-ups. There is some variability among plastic surgeons as to when is the earliest that one can engage in this activity.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

TT needs time to heal

+1

If you are like a lot of patients, you can't wait to start exercising and showing off your new figure. The swelling usually has peaked by the 3rd day but then it takes a very long time for it to resolve. Most of the major swelling is gone at 6 weeks. During this time the muscle repair will strengthen and should allow you to start exercising. Check with your surgeon to get the go ahead for exercise and then start slowly. Your body won't be ready to go 100% immediately but you will get there.

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Time to fully heal from TT and Lipo

+1

Swelling after a TT and liposuction is at a maximum at approximately 5 days and then will gradually diminish over 3 - 4 months.  Regarding sit ups after your TT, I urge my patients to wait a minimum of 6 weeks to allow the internal tissues to heal well prior to putting the stress of sit ups on them.  It makes the most sense to treat yourself well and allow full healing as opposed to trying to start too soon and ending up with a complication.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

What Is The Timeline For Decreaed Swelling After A Tummy Tuck With Flank Lipo?

+1

Swelling after a FTT with flank lipo gets worse for the first 5 days, then begins to improve for the next 3 months.  90% of patients see a significant improvement in their measurements by 2 weeks.  Continued improvement will be seen up to 3 months, and of course, swelling goes up and down based on activity and length of time after surgery. 

To decrease post operative swelling, some surgeons use corticosteroids, DMSO, and ultrasound (the kind physical therapists use for sore muscles).  These modalities can significantly shorten the amount and duration of post operative swelling. 

With reference to sit-ups, the textbook answer is sit-ups can be started at 6 weeks after a tummy tuck, but every patient is different and one needs to ease into this activity, and if it hurts, don't do it. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and exercise after liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

Swelling after a tummy tuck and liposuction can last for several months.  In general, most of the significant swelling will be gone by 6 weeks to 3 months.  I recommend to most patients to wait at least 6-8 weeks prior to starting sit-ups after a tummy tuck.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Recovery for Swelling and Sit-ups

+1

Thank you for your question.  The healing after a tummy tuck is a process.  The swelling gradually goes down by about 3 months.  However, it is common to experience mild swelling from time to time which resolves shortly.  For example, one may experience  swelling  towards the end of the day and the  next morning it is gone.  This may occur for up  to 6 months.  With regards to doing sit-ups, I generally  advise not to do them before 8-12 weeks.  Each patient is different so these are general guidelines.  I recommend you ask your plastic surgeon for his specific instructions.  

Good Luck!

Brian Joseph MD FACS

Brian Joseph, MD

Swelling and Exercise After Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

Expect significant swelling after a tummy tuck to persist for up to 6 weeks after surgery. One should not start strenuous exercise such as situps for 8 weeks after surgery. That may seem like a long time to wait toexercise as you see it now but once you have had surgery you will not be in too much of a hurry to get back to exercise.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Exercise and swelling after TT/lipo

+1
The major part of the swelling should resolve within thee months with the remainder going away gradually over another six months. In terms of sit-ups, you should follow your plastic surgeon's postop regimen. I would not encourage strenuous activity for at least six weeks postop and, for sit-ups, would advise patients to wait three months.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

When to get back to exercise after an abdominoplasty

+1

In most cases most of the swelling will be gone by 3 months.  As far as sit ups  you should consult with your plastic surgeon since he is in the best position to understand your anatomy and the procedure specifics.  In general most abdominoplasty patients can generally start to do sit ups between the 6th week ad 3rd month after surgery.