Will I Have to Have a Lift with Implants? (photo)

I'm having breast augmentation done 3 doctors suggested I have a small lift I don't want the scarring should I have a crescent lift ?

Breast augmentation and lifts

+1

Several things need emphasizing here. 

Breast implants do not lift breasts. They are pillow volume and only provide forward fill. The look of a lift is an illusion. Breasts that are too low (ptotic) cannot be augmented properly because the breast has, in effect, fallen off the pillow. The purpose of a lift is to move the nipple-areola to a higher level (and the entire breast in a true lift). The trade-off of a true lift is a lollipop scar. Periareolar lifts are mostly scar and the illusion of a lift. "Crescent" lifts are to be condemned as a misconception. 

It looks like an augmentation can be done without a lift in your case but it's borderline in terms of where your nipple sits in relation to the inframammary crease behind it. An in person exam would be required. It is also likely that you will "need" a lift at some point in the future whether you have an implant or not. My usual recommendation is to do the augmentation alone now (if it's feasible) and then see if you need/want the lift later on.  

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Will I Have to Have a Lift with Implants?

+1

Maybe a donut lift with larger implant could achieve the appearance you desire. But only IN PERSON evaluations allows a more exact plan 

Breast Lift with Augmentation

+1

If you want to have breasts that are not only larger but have them perky and optimally shaped, you need (from your pictures) need a full lift with the implants. If this is not your desire, and all you want is to be larger, then you could have only the augmentation. Of course, you will still have significant breast droop. A crescent lift will not provide as much lift as you need to get you to a normal shape.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

TO LIFT OR NOT TO LIFT

+1

Thanks for the photos.  On the front view the nipples are situated on the lower aspect of the breast mound and are pointing downward.  In order to center the NAC on the breast mound you will need a lift.  Otherwise the result will be a little compromised.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants or breast lift or both?

+1

This is the classic question so many of my patients ask.  It is not a matter of lift or not, what is important is looking at your breasts as a part of your  body.  Your chest appears prominent and the breasts look to be high on the chest.  These anatomical features are critical to making the right plan.  You want your breasts to look natural.  The implant you chose must compliment your native breasts and your chest shape or it will not look natural.  The lift question is only a part of the plan.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation With or Without Lift?

+1

You don't necessarily need a lift. Your options include having the augmentation and then reassessing whether a lift is desirable (at 3 months). Alternatively, you could opt for tear drop shaped implants (now available in the US) which naturally produce a small lift. The third option would be to have a peri-areoalar lift (around the nipple) at the time of your augmentation.

Maisam Fazel, MBBChir, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Lift needed with augmentation?

+1

You can certainly go with augmentation only, but your nipple will not be centered on the breast, it will be low. Some women say this is ok as long as there are no scars on the breast. You can do augmentation and see what you think. If you want the nipple in a more centered position, you should do a lift. It looks like a donut approach may be adequate, but a crescent may be too minimal of an approach to get a decent result. Discuss this with a board-certified plastic surgeon to see what approach you feel most comfortable with.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Breast augment with a lift

+1

Many patients need some breast lift with their augment. However, this is a personal choice (but if 3 doctors have suggested it you might consider this seriously). With your type of breasts, having true ptosis, if there is no lift and the implants are placed beneath the muscle the breasts may sag in front of the implants giving a very unnatural appearance. Having the implants placed at one time and seeing how it comes out is an option since a small lift can always be done later under a local anesthesia in the office with minimal healing time. If you decide you really do want the scars of a lift then I would certainly choose to go with an implant in front of the muscle to give a more natural appearance. Keep in mind that your large areolas will stretch even more with breast implants and doing a lift entire way around the areola could minimize the size and improve your appearance as well. Find a board certified surgeon you get along with and trust and they will help you come to right decision for you.

William LoVerme, MD