Drainage Tube Pain?

Does it hurt to have tummy tuck drainage tubes removed? Please answer quickly-I am going tomorrow. Thank you!

Drain Pain Discomfort

+2

Dear Beth,

No question about it, removal of a drainage tube can be uncomfortable.

You may feel a brief moment of moderate pain/discomfort, but it is just that, brief.

Many people are fearful of this, and most have only mild to moderate discomfort during the removal process. 

Take a few deep breaths and remember that it really is only a momentary, but necessary step in your recovery process.

Orland Park Plastic Surgeon

Drainage Tube Pain

+1

The type of drainage tube used, the placement location, and the duration that it has been in place may determine the pain to some extent, but for most patients pain is minor.

Drain removal pain

+1

is not usually an issue for my patients.  I exclusively use circular drains and they always slide out easily and with minimal resistance.  I don't understand why some doctors like rectangular drains as logically, they have more resistance when pulled out of a circular hole.  Seems elementary to me and I hope your experience was a good one.

Curtis Wong, MD

Drainage Tube Pain?

+1

Usually it is not uncomfortable, and doesn't approach patient expectation. There are different sorts of drains, and they do vary in  how easily they can be removed. It is obviously too late to consider which sort of drain to use for you!

Thanks, best wishes. 

Drain Concerns after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Although every practice has a different protocol, I like to use local anesthesia around the drains prior to removal.  Either way, most patients find the anticipation  of the event (drain removal) worse than the event  itself.