Ambulation after a Tummy Tuck?

I'm a very healthy 45 year old woman, I'm having a BBL and Breast Lift with no implants. Because I dont want to take HEPARIN. How long and soon can I walk and how long should I walk without over doing it? Thanks Dr.'s

Ambulation after a Tummy Tuck?

+1
After a tummy tuck, I help my patients get up and move around by setting up a post-op appointment the day after their surgery.  Rest is important but not complete bed rest so easy light walking is recommended to help minimize the risk of blood clots.  Move around the house, take a easy walk around your block avoiding hills or busy areas.  Your surgeon will release you to start doing more activity when you go in for your follow up visits but gradual is the key word.  Even though you may feel like you can go for miles, your body is still recovering and will tire sooner so go slow and work your way up each week.  Make sure to follow your surgeons post-op instructions and ask before resuming any other strenuous exercise. ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Walking after a tummy tuck

+1

Walking after surgery is important for every patient to help prevent blood clots.  However if your surgeon thinks you are at high risk for developing blood clots then you should listen to his or her suggestions.  A successful operation is not just a nice cosmetic outcome but also limiting the potential for complications.  Follow your post op instructions and let your surgeon guide you. 

My best to you for recovery.

Elisa A. Burgess, MD

Ambulation After Surgery

+1

Ambulation immediately after surgery is recommended to reduce the risk of a blood clot.  A minimum of three short walks a day indoors is recommended. Discuss this matter further with your surgeon. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Recovery

+1

It's advisable to take it easy but not to be at bed rest through out your recovery. We want to prevent any blood clots and get your body to feel normal so in my practice we advice for patients to be active little by little and increasing activity as time passes by. A two week recovery at home should be enough for you to start feeling better. Always follow your surgeons post op instructions.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Ambulation After MM

+1
Great question for your surgeon. In general, ambulation is usually recommended early to avoid blot clots in the legs.

Good luck with the surgery.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Ambulation after surgery

+1
This is a question only your doctor can answer as he or she is the one with the most accurate knowledge of your planned surgery. Also different people recuperate at different rates so the recommendations may change after surgery depending on how well you are going. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon