Are my Nipples Still Too Low or Implants Still a Little High? or All Ok?

Nipples and implants

+2

You may have implants that are too high, but I would have to exam you in person to be sure where your nipples should be.  If the implants drop, the nipples may look better.

Nipple height and breast lift

+2

It depends on when your surgery took place.  If it is early post op then the implants may just need to drop more and massage will help with this.  If you are past 3-6 months then you will need a revision.  Are your implants under the muscle? (it looks like they are...) the muscle may need more inferior release so that the implant can drop down in to the pocket if things are completely healed.  You can manipulate this somewhat on your own if it is early and scar tissue formation is not complete.  I'm not sure if you need to have your nipples brought higher- it would depend on a measurement from your sternal notch to the nipple.  I would discuss this with your surgeon for reassurance if early or for revision if healed.  Good luck!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

+2

To me it seems that you have a component of both. Your Nipple areolar complex is to low and your implants seem to be in a higher position then they should. It would be helpful to have a little history of what you had done and when what type of implants etc. Looks like you may have had a breast lift with some type of vertical incision.

It is possible that you will require a revision!

Good luck!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

If you are 3-6 months post-op it is best to get checked by your surgeon

+1

Depending on when your surgery took place you may need revision. If you are 3-6 months post-op it is best to get checked by your surgeon as the implants should have settled in their final position by now. The placement of the implants also affect the “settling time.” If the implants were placed underneath the muscle it will take more time for the implants to settle than if the implants were placed over the muscle. You may also want to consider a mastopexy (or breast lift) to shape the breast and change the position of the nipple to a more desired look. Consult your surgeon.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Yes, Yes, and probably Yes!

+1

Without knowing just how long post-op you are it is a bit presumptuous to dogmatically state that everything will be "fine" as the implants drop and settle, particularly if you are longer than 6 months post-op. Anything less than 2 or 3 months, and I feel that there is a good likelihood that you will continue to have your implant pocket and skin incision scars soften and stretch as they mature. It looks as if you had some sort of modified breast lift plus implants, as there is still some inferior "blunting" centrally. The more incisions,the more scarring that has to soften, stretch, and allow your implants to drop behind your breast tissue.

If you are at the 3-6 month (or later) point of your surgical recovery, then your chances of additional dramatic improvement are decreased, and your potential for needing or wanting revisional surgery greater.

Implant movement exercises and stretching the pocket downward with an elastic bandeau worn at night may aid in implant dropping. Good luck!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Implants "Settle" After Augmentation

+1

To best address your inquiry, a few bits of information are helpful:

• How long has it been since your surgery?
    • It is not uncommon for the implants to have excessive upper pole fullness for a few weeks after surgery.
    • Because of upper pole fullness, the nipples may temporarily appear to point downward.
    • During this time, some surgeons may recommend special massage techniques.
    • If this persists beyond a couple of months, revision might be a consideration.
  • What procedures did you have?
    • If you had a Mastopexy (breast lift) that can influence the time course of the post-op shaping
    • placement of implants over the muscle will usually "settle" sooner than when placed under the chest muscle
  • What size, shape and type of implants do you have?

As always, clearly express your concerns to your surgeon. If you decide to get a second opinion, choose that doctor as carefully as you did for the surgeon you chose to do your surgery.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon