Nipples Too High Post Breast Reduction?

Had a BR 1 year ago. My nipples are ridiculously high and flat. I've seen 3 plastic surgeons in my area and they all agree. The sad news is that i will be left with "bad verticle scars" that will come out of tops instead of my nipple. I'm wondering if there is any other way to lower areolas without giving me scars in every possible direction on my cheast? Also, i can't seem to find any pictures of others having this performed which makes me worry more... any help would be appreciated, i'm only 20

Nipples too high after a breast reduction

+1

Really need a photograph to understand your problem but in general if the nipples are too high it can mean a bottoming out of the inferior pole.  This can be corrected by shortening this vertical distance.  

Nipples Too High Post Breast Reduction?

+1

I agree with the other posts, that without photos, it is difficult to comment.  Sometimes high NAC (nipple areola complex) can be improved by raising the inframammary fold to a higher position and removing skin and/or tissue  from the fold area.  This will make the distance from the NAC to the fold shorter, and often can rectify the problem without an additional vertical scar above the areola.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Nipple Malposition

+1
Sorry to hear of your plight. Unfortunately, this is a difficult situation to address. Excision of the skin at the fold can pull the nipple down a bit especially if a vertical technique was utilized. It would likely be the first step.  I have also lowered nipple position in patients with Poland's Syndrome (non development of the the breast)  using tissue expansion techniques.  This is a bit cumbersome, but perhaps an option.  Since you are young, nipple position may drop somewhat with time or with potential pregnancy. I would personally not recommend directly lowering of the nipple as scars will be unsightly and irreversible.  Happy to view your photos and give you a more directed opinion. Best of luck with this.

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Bad Breast Reduction Result

+1

I am so sorry to hear about your problem. Sending your after pictures would be helpful.  Typically excess breast tissue and skin can be removed down by th crease to shorten the distance between the nipple and the crease.  This will lower the nipples somewhat.  The vertical scars should not come out of the top of the areola.  This possibly can be treated with tattooing.

Send pictures.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast reduction and nipples too high

+1

If the nipples are truly too high, then a vertical incision above the areola will be the final scar.  If the breast has bottomed out, and the nipples point upward, then sometimes a small crescent can be taken from the fold and the breast will look better.

Breast reduction

+1

Revising the reduction and excising a generous portion of tissue at the bottom may help to pull the nipples down. This shortens the vertical scar, and will initially give more fullness at the top, and it will take time for the skin to stretch. Avoid the vertical scar above the nipple.

Good luck.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Nipples too high are hard to fix

+1

Generally it is far easier to raise nipples more than to try to lower them when they are too high.  Sometimes a generous skin takeout in the lower breast with a crease scar can pull the nipples down a little and improve this.  I would not suggest having a vertical scar going up from the nipples.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Revision After Breast Reduction (Nipple/Areola Too High)?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced;  this can be very stressful especially at the age of 20.

I would ask that you submit pictures to this forum for more precise advice. I would agree with you that having vertical scars above the areola ( potentially visible in outfits)  is not a good way to go.  Sometimes, removing tissue from the lower poles of the breasts will serve to lower the nipple/areola complexes on the breast mounds.

Again, please submit pictures for more precise advice.