Nipples to Feel Pain After 4 Months of Breast Reduction Surgery?

My nipple areas are the hardest to heal after the breast reduction surgery in early July. They are sore and painful. When I pinch the pain area, it makes me feel nausea. Is the apin going to be gone one day? Or I have got some infection underneath the skin? Also, part of my wound under the breast is becoming pink. Thank you for your kind reply!

Breast Reduction and Nipple Hypersensitivity?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. Most patients are very pleased with the outcome of the procedure long-term. In the shorter term, problems such as you describe are very common; for example, the nipple  hypersensitivity may last for several months but usually “normalizes” within the first year after breast surgery.

For more precise advise please your plastic surgeon in person.

Best wishes

Nipple Pain after Breast Reduction

+1

Changes to nipple sensation are not uncommon after breast reduction surgery. Numbness, pain, or hypersensitivity are all due to nerve trauma during surgery. It can take a year or more for the nerves to recover from being injured. In the mean time, if your symptoms are extreme, you might want to consider seeing your plastic surgeon for a follow up. After an exam, perhaps, your surgeon may feel that this is a normal part of your healing process. On the other hand, if your nipple pain is not in line with your clinical exam, your surgeon might feel that additional consultation is required from a pain specialist, such as a Neurologist.

Thank you for your question and best of luck!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD

Nipple Sensitivity after Breast Reduction

+1

Thank you for your question. The best way to get your question answered is to see your plastic surgeon in person. If you are concerned that there may be an infection, the sooner the better. Color changes do normally occur as the breasts heal, but need to be evaluated in person.

Changes in nipple sensation can occur with any breast surgery. The most common change is hypersensitivity. This often persists for several months, and may give strange sensations ranging from occasional electric shocks to pins and needles or soreness. It can take up to year for this to settle down, so you still have time. Desensitization, like light massage, can help.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon