Nipple Surgery to Reduce Areola That Doubled in Size?

I'm 38 years old. I had my breast augmentation done back in 2005, but my areola have doubled its size. I'm considering an areola reduction but I'm not sure if it will be a good option. However, for sure, it bothers me a lot since when I'm wearing strapless or any other top that shows cleavage, my areolas are always showing. Please help me. Thank you.

There are risks and benefits of surgery to reduce large breast areolas

+2

I agree with Dr. Chong that the best available treatment for your condition is to remove the excess areolar skin. A word of caution is that the scar around the margin of the areola is not always ideal and you could be left with a wide unattractive scar. Also, this may not address your concern regarding the areolae being exposed when wearing low tops.

An important measurement frequently used by plastic surgeons is the distance from the clavicle to the nipple or areolar margin. If this distance is too short then the margin of the areolae may be above the level of low cut tops or swim suits. The areolar reduction may not correct this. To obtain a realistic expectation of the changes you could receive I would recommend an evaluation by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

I hope this helps. Good luck in achieving your goals.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Areola reduction?

+1

Yes, you may be a good candidate for areola reduction. Fortunately, this is a procedure that can often be done under local or general anesthesia.

It would be wise for you to consider the  scar that will result, around the  areola. The appearance of the scar may range from a fine line to a wide/thick/raise scar (that may require scar revision surgery).

You should also consider  other unfavorable sequelae resulting from this procedure. This may include asymmetric areola, loss or change of sensation, wound healing problems (possibly suture related), recurrence of the “spreading of the areola” and potential changing/flattening of the breasts' profiles.

Please make sure you're working with a well experienced/board-certified plastic surgeon.

Excessive Areolas

+1

Many factors conspire to make women's areaolas expand; aging, pregnancy, weight gain/loss and genetics. An areolar reduction is a technique in which a "donut" of pigmented areolar skin is removed and the resultant wound repaired with a "pursestring" suture, which cinches the diameter at a smaller measurement. The success of this procedure depends on the pursestring suture staying intact. The technique also works well as long as the weight of the implant doesn't cause a second drop. Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD