Nipple Surgery Scar Concerns

I am 24 years old and have always had slightly larger than normal areolas and tear drop shaped "slightly snoopy" breasts. I have looked into just an areola/nipple reduction, but the scars seem unsightly. Is that a risk I would have to live with, or are there more experienced surgeons to eliminate this problem, or even laser treatments? How long would it take for my breasts to look normal? I just want the same size breasts, but more round with a smaller less protruding areola. Also, my actual nipple only protrudes when stimulated, would that still happen after this procedure? Thanks!

Scarring after nipple and areola surgery

+2

Patients have many different options and surgery for the nipple and areola. Always remember that every surgical incision will leave a scar. The quality of the scar depends on the technique that was used and how your skin shields. When we perform breast surgery, is very common to place the scar around the edge of the areola. This is because the eye expects to see a transition at the site between the darker areolar skin and a lighter breast skin. By placing a scar at this transition site, it is not very noticeable. Discuss with a plastic surgeon your concerns as they will be able to review the options that will help you meet your aesthetic goals.

Scars from areola reduction

+1

The "snoopy" breast can be corrected very nicely through a small areolar incision similar to the one used for breast augmentation. You should keep in mind that any procedure to reduce the size of and shape of the areola may result in nice or very visible scars depending on your skin type. There are many treatments and techniques used these days to prevent poor scarring.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Nipple reduction is a satisfying procedure after breast feeding

+1

Many women develop elongated and larger nipples after breast feeding. Most women don't realize that this appearance can easily be treated as an office procedure with little to no scarring.

This procedure is very different from a reduction of areola size. This procedure can also be performed as an office procedure, however, when the procedure is performed as part of a breast lift, this procedure should be performed as an operating room. A skilled plastic surgeon can usually perform this with minimal scarring if the tension is not excessive.

Phillip Chang, MD
Leesburg Plastic Surgeon

You are describing a breast lift

+1

A breast lift or mastopexy does not change the size of your breasts but makes them more round and higher on your chest. The areolae are made smaller and are centered over the breast mound. The scarring typically results in a lollipop configuration, meaning around the areola and straight down.

Unfortunately, there are no alternatives. This represents a trade-off common in cosmetic surgery -- for the benefit of better shaped breasts, you have to be willing to accept the scars.

Depending on the technique, several weeks may be necessary to appreciate the final result. Often, the breasts are overcorrected so that when they settle, they have a pleasing shape.

As far as your nipples, it sounds as if you are describing inverted nipples. This can be corrected as well.

Good luck!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon