Nipple Soreness a Good Sign After a BA?

I had a BA 5 weeks ago. At first my nipples and area below them were numb. It is still hard to feel any sensation, however I can feel when I apply pressure. My nipples are still numbish, however when they are hard and I pinch them I can definately feel the pinch. Is this a good sign that I might regain the sensation back? To date, I have had no shooting pains of nerve regeneration that I have read other ladies experience, and this has been a concern of mine. 250 cc, unders, crease incision.

Nipple soreness a good sign after a BA?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Your symptoms sound like your nerves regenerating. Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return. Re-educating your nerves to these areas by using different textures when showering and putting on lotion often helps.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Nipple Sensation After Breast Augmentation

+1
You will most likely regain the sensation in your nipples gradually, but this could take a few months to a year.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Nipple Sensation after Breast Augmentation

+1

The fact that you are beginning to have return of sensation is a positive sign. You will most likely regain further sensation to your nipples, however the time frame varies from patient to patient and can take several months. Good Luck!

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensation returns

+1

The fact that you have some return is a positive sign. Most people regain a similar level of sensation prior to the surgery. This may however take several months to do so. During that time you might feel occasional shooting pains or "zingers" as my nurse refers to them. The fact that your implant is 250CC is helpful. Larger implants are more prone to disrupt sensation. Best of luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Nipple soreness and the return of sensation

+1

The fact that you can have some sort of sensation in your nipples is a good sign. It appears that the nerves were traumatized to some extent during the surgery. Most probably, you will regain most if not all of your sensation given enough time. It may take several months for much of the sensation to return (if it is going to) but I would give it up to 1 - 2 years to know what the long term sensation will be.

Good luck!

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Nipple Soreness following Breast Augmentation

+1

You should take it as a good sign that you are going to regain further sensation in your nipples since you are beginning to feel some sensation at 5 weeks. The length of time it takes to regain more sensation is highly individualized, as is any other shooting pain from nerve regeneration.  It sounds like you are right on track for a good recovery.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Nipple pain or soreness is very common early post-op after breast implants

+1

This will likely improve quite soon, and you will likely go through some of the shooting sensations as well.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Nipple Soreness at 5 Weeks. Some Pressure Sensitivity. Good Sign.

+1

The fact that you have pressure sensation and can feel a hard pinch means that nerves are definitely working and that is a sign that they will recover in time. The return of light touch is always preceded by the return of pressure.  Since you were fist completely numb and now have pressure and pinch feeling, I think it is a matter of time before you start getting light touch feeling back. It is a good sign, and it is still very early at 5 weeks. However, it can take many months before fine touch or normal sensibility returns.

You will have a much better idea of how much of normal feeling will return in another two months.  If you were still very numb at 5 weeks, then it would be less predictable.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Temporary nipple changes are normal

+1

After any type of breast augmentation, some changes in nipple sensation is frequent.  Sometimes nipples become more sensitive, and sometimes less so, but often this all returns to baseline over time.  Be patient, and I bet things get better on their own!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Temporary vs. Permanent nipple numbness

+1
Hello, and thank you for your question.
Tempory nipple numbness, and sometimes, hypersensation (very sensative nipples) are not uncommon.  Permanent numbness is quite uncommon.  However, regaining sensation if you have temporary numbness or having normal sensation if you have hypersensative nipples can take a long time in certain individuals.  Don't be disheartened.  This can sometimes take many months to even a year in some individuals.  If you are gradually experiencing more sensation, then you will most likely regain normal sensation.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon