Nipple Sensation

I had a breast lift and implant surgery on 03.09.11. I had 375cc HP saline implants/under muscle and everything seems to be healing very well. My question is regarding nipple sensation.
Not long after surgery I noticed that my left nipple looked different, kind of white after surgery and it is that same nipple that I still do not have any feeling in. With it being this far PO, is there still a chance that I will in fact get feeling back? My nipples look the same, just one is still numb.

Sensory change after breast surgery

+3

Any surgery near the nipple or even elsewhere in the breast can result in sensory change in the nipple (or even total numbness).  Return of sensation can take many months to a year, so it is still quite early if your surgery was in March. 

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensation

+2
Generally, nipple sensation can take up to 12 months to recover.  Since your surgery was 3 years ago, you will probably continue to stay numb.  Occasionally, a few women will slowly regain sensation over time.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensation loss after breast lift at 2 years may be permanent

+2
Thank you for your question.  As others have stated usually nipple sensation returns within the first 6-12 months after a breast lift.  If your nipple is numb at 2 years after breast lift it most likely is permanent.  Be sure to consult your plastic surgeon for an examination and opinion.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Return of nipple sensation after breast augmentation and lift

+2

Nipple sensation usually will return after change is noted following breast augmentation and lift. The gradual improvement will take up to six to nine months. The cause is more often due to stretching of the nerves within the breast over the surface of the breast implant. Partial loss of sensation can occur, though some times increased sensation and soreness in the nipple can be the problem. Be optimistic and give the recovery time.

peterejohnsonmd

It may take 3-6 months to fell normal

+2

There is a small risk of permanent nipple sensation loss with the augmentation and even higher with the combination of the lift and augmentation. The most common cause of  nipple sensation loss is traction on the nerve and normal sensation would return in 3-6 months.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensation after breast surgery

+2

You are relatively early in your post op period.  It may take up to a year for paresthesia of the breast to resolve.  Donald R Nunn MD  Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Nipple Numbness After Breast Augmentation

+2

It can take up to 6 months for sensation to return (if it is going to) so you still have a window of opportunity. Good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Sensation

+2

Hello Jojo42,

There are many reasons why you are experiencing loss of nipple sensibility on the left side.  It may or may not be due to any perceived differences in color of your nipple that occured immediately after the surgery.  Typically, sensory nerve injury is temporary, and is usually due to stretching the nerves near the ribs from placement of the implant.  If you have also had a breast lift, nerves may also have been cut near the skin, also a temporary phenomenon.

Occasionally, nerves have been more severly injured, also usually due to injury near the ribs. Return of sensation is slower, and may not be complete.  This happens about 5% of the time.  Signs of the nerve returning to normal function are increased or painfull sensations and pins and needles.  The longer there is complete anesthesia (dense numbness), the more likely the nerve has been more severly injured, and the longer the return to function.

You are about two months out from your surgery and are still experiencing numbness.  It is still too early to tell when and if you will get a return of some or all of your nipple sensibiltiy.   Your status at 6 months will tell a lot about your prospects of return of function.  Your status at 12 to 18 months will determine your final level of sensibility.   Please be patient and confident that probably some of your nipple sensibility will return.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Nipple sensation

+1
It has been three years since you surgery. In all likelihood the nerve conducting sensation to your left nipple was injured enough to compromise its conductive ability to carry sensation to your left nipple. This is a possible risk with any type of implant placement

Fred Suess, MD

Usually sensation returns

+1
Since almost every breast lift requires your surgeon to make incisions around the nipple, losing sensation in this area is a possible risk. If this complication does occur, patients may need to wait for the nerves to grow back. If sensation has not returned after two years, it's likely that the nipples may never regain their normal sense of touch.

Jerome Edelstein, MD