Nipple Sensation

I had a breast lift and implant surgery on 03.09.11. I had 375cc HP saline implants/under muscle and everything seems to be healing very well. My question is regarding nipple sensation.
Not long after surgery I noticed that my left nipple looked different, kind of white after surgery and it is that same nipple that I still do not have any feeling in. With it being this far PO, is there still a chance that I will in fact get feeling back? My nipples look the same, just one is still numb.

Nipple sensation loss after breast lift at 2 years may be permanent

+2
Thank you for your question.  As others have stated usually nipple sensation returns within the first 6-12 months after a breast lift.  If your nipple is numb at 2 years after breast lift it most likely is permanent.  Be sure to consult your plastic surgeon for an examination and opinion.

Web reference: http://www.realself.com/question/breast-lift-scar-and-implant-concerns#1251861

Return of nipple sensation after breast augmentation and lift

+2

Nipple sensation usually will return after change is noted following breast augmentation and lift. The gradual improvement will take up to six to nine months. The cause is more often due to stretching of the nerves within the breast over the surface of the breast implant. Partial loss of sensation can occur, though some times increased sensation and soreness in the nipple can be the problem. Be optimistic and give the recovery time.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/breast-lift

Nipple Sensation after Breast Augmentation/Lift

+2

Although the lack of sensation in your left nipple is concerning, I wouldn't get too discouraged about it yet- you are still early in the postoperative period and loss of sensation may rebound as late as 6-12 months after surgery. I would be hesitant to say that you will regain all of your original sensation in that nipple, but you may regain some or most of what it had before. Good luck.

Sensory change after breast surgery

+2

Any surgery near the nipple or even elsewhere in the breast can result in sensory change in the nipple (or even total numbness).  Return of sensation can take many months to a year, so it is still quite early if your surgery was in March. 

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

It may take 3-6 months to fell normal

+2

There is a small risk of permanent nipple sensation loss with the augmentation and even higher with the combination of the lift and augmentation. The most common cause of  nipple sensation loss is traction on the nerve and normal sensation would return in 3-6 months.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensation after breast surgery

+2

You are relatively early in your post op period.  It may take up to a year for paresthesia of the breast to resolve.  Donald R Nunn MD  Plastic Surgeon.

Nipple Numbness After Breast Augmentation

+2

It can take up to 6 months for sensation to return (if it is going to) so you still have a window of opportunity. Good luck!

Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Sensation

+2

Hello Jojo42,

There are many reasons why you are experiencing loss of nipple sensibility on the left side.  It may or may not be due to any perceived differences in color of your nipple that occured immediately after the surgery.  Typically, sensory nerve injury is temporary, and is usually due to stretching the nerves near the ribs from placement of the implant.  If you have also had a breast lift, nerves may also have been cut near the skin, also a temporary phenomenon.

Occasionally, nerves have been more severly injured, also usually due to injury near the ribs. Return of sensation is slower, and may not be complete.  This happens about 5% of the time.  Signs of the nerve returning to normal function are increased or painfull sensations and pins and needles.  The longer there is complete anesthesia (dense numbness), the more likely the nerve has been more severly injured, and the longer the return to function.

You are about two months out from your surgery and are still experiencing numbness.  It is still too early to tell when and if you will get a return of some or all of your nipple sensibiltiy.   Your status at 6 months will tell a lot about your prospects of return of function.  Your status at 12 to 18 months will determine your final level of sensibility.   Please be patient and confident that probably some of your nipple sensibility will return.

Best of luck.

Nipple sensation

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast procedures such as the breast lift and breast reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts along with raising of the nipple-areolar complex to an appropriate position. Since there is an incision made around the areola along with some rearrangement of tissue of the breast, there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7%. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk.  It can take up to a year to regain sensation.  After that time, it is unlikely.  

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensation

+1

Nipple sensation may return over a period of many months and even increase over years.  Do not assume that your sensation will not return unless you have had absolutely no increase in sensation after a year or so.

Web reference: http://www.seattleplasticsurgery.com/breast-lift-surgery.html