Will a Nipple Revision and Little Lift Work on One Breast?

Hi! After my pregnancy my left breast and nipple became very different from my right. The left areola is larger and the breast is lower than the right one. My question: if I get the areola revised and a little lift on just one breast can it be made to match the areola size and height of my right breast? I have attached a photo showing how I look now (left side) and what I would want to look like after the surgery (right side). Is this possible? I would like to do this without implants.

Breast Asymmetry

+2

Breast asymmetry is a very common problem.  In your case a left breast lift and areolar reduction can be performed.  This would improve the breast symmetry but may not be perfect.  Even though the results may appear fairly symmetrical at the time of surgery,  as one heals there may be some changes that may need further revision down the road.  I would recommend you finish your family first  before undergoing any surgery.

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

A nipple revision and little lift on one breast

+2

Thanks for the photos, it really helps to determine what options you have. I recommend an areolar reduction by a circumareolar excision and a L-shaped lift excision to obtain a symmetrical appearing breasts. The risks are the scars, your breasts will look even but they will have scars. Good Luck from MIAMI Dr. B

Correction of breast asymmetry

+2

Certainly a left-sided lift, probably using a vertical incision, will produce improved symmetry but you should be prepared for some residual asymmetry. The scars of a vertical lift, while quite acceptable will obviously be present on the left but not the right and there can be slight differences in projection and shape as well.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast Lift On One Side Only A Viable Option

+2

With the degree of change on your left side vs. the right side, it is reasonable to expect that you would have a very good result with just a surgery on your left breast.  It should be fairly easy to lift that side slightly and modify the areola to match the right side.  I hope this helps. 

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry and Breast Lifting?

+1

For the question and pictures.

Yes, you may be an excellent candidate for unilateral breast lifting  to improve symmetry of the breasts. Whether the  breast lift can be done through a circumareolar  approach only will need to be determined after direct physical examination. Of course, absolute symmetry may not be achievable.

Consider having the operation performed when you have completed pregnancies.

VIDEO BELOW: breast lift without implants for asymmetric breasts PHOTO SIMULATION

+1

Certainly a small lift without implants can diminish the amount of breast asymmetry. This may require a veritcal scar and likely take more than one operation although the second would likely be a very minor fine tuning procedure.

Asymmetric breasts

+1

Certainly a lift can be performed on the left breast. But like the previous doctor wrote, if you raise the left one and adjust the skin envelope, it will definitely be closer but everyone heals a bit differently and so relapse may occur a bit after surgery.

Correcting one side for symmetry

+1

The surgery to lift and reduce the areola on one side is actually fairly straightforward with the opposite side to compare to. The problem is controlling the size and position of the operated nipple-areola during the healing and maturation phase after the procedure. The two breasts may also respond differently to further pregnancies, aging, or weight changes. I would agree with the comments about residual asymmetry or achieving perfect symmetry. 

It is not your intent but it is possible to augment both breasts without a lift on the left side and they will be larger looking but still have the same degree of asymmetry. I just saw a patient of mine who had this implant approach done 15 years ago and because of aging and weight gain is now ready to lift the lower breast with the larger areola. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry corrected unilaterally

+1

With your particular problem, an areolar reduction and unilateral lift of the left side should be very possible and provide a very reasonable result. You can never, or course, expect to be perfectly symmetric, but this can make you much more so.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon