Nipple Reduction -- is There Scarring?

Could anyone describe the process of nipple reduction (the area surrounding nipple)? Is there scarring? How is the old nipple area made smaller and the nipple itself less wrinkled/more even/no moles etc? Thanks. I have medium olive skin.

Reducing areola size is the operation you are seeking.

+1

Most patients with enlarged areola appearance have an element of droop of the breast as well.

We usually combine a breast lift with resizing of the areola because it is far less likely to stretch out again if you lift the breast as well.  I do not like the repair that just pulls the skin about the areola because it has a high recurrence rate. Surgery can usually be done as an office procedure using either just local anesthesia or light sedation and local anesthesia.

Dr. Mayl

Fort lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Reduction

+1

Fortunately, nipple reduction is an  excellent procedure for the patient suffering from prominent  nipples. This procedure can reduce the height and width of the nipple, usually preserving sensation. It can be done under local anesthesia or in combination with other procedures (under general anesthesia).

I like to use the “sleeve” technique to reduce the height of a woman's nipple. This procedure leaves the core of the nipple intact preserving nerves and lactiferous ducts.  The  suture line  generally heals  very nicely in this area. The width of the nipple can be reduced by removing a triangular segment from the tip area.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_inverted_nipple.htm

Areola size

+1

Thank you for your question. It sound like you are describing reducing the size of your areola or the darker skin around your nipple as well as lessening the projection of your nipple. I use a tool that looks a bit like a cookie cutter to determine the ideal size of the areola and remove any excess areola skin circumferentially. I then sow the breast skin to the areola skin. Any time we make an incision there will be a scar. However, with this type of procedure, your scar will hide in the natural color change between your breast skin and your areola skin. You should be able to have nice results without a permanent change in your sensation.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.