Will Nipple Reduction Surgery Scars Be Visible?

I was considering Nipple reduction procedure, but am scared that the scarring will outweigh the benefits. Are the scars and dark surgery rings noticeable forever?

I had foot surgery a year ago and the scar is terrible. I wish I never had to get it. Also, how much does the procedure cost? Thank you.

Minimal Scars from Nipple Reduction

+1

Fortunately, nipple reduction is a relatively simple procedure that can be performed using a local anesthetic as an office procedure. Depending on the patient's wishes there are a few techniques that I use - all of which generally preserve sensation and with negligible scars. The fact that you had bad foot scars would probably not affect the scars from your nipple surgery in most cases. Nipple reduction prices vary greatly because the s a wide range of due to a number of variables including differing techniques that can be performed. My recommendation is to first find a few qualified surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery that you trust, then compare prices between them. In our office it is approximately $1,500. Factors that influence the price include:

1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctors office? (Doctor’s office is least expensive)

2. Type of Anesthesia - local, IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist be used, or an RN? (local anesthesia will save you money)

3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best trained (and longest) would be a surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how much will be removed, one or both sides, etc.

Nipple reduction for women

+1

Nipple reduction is an  excellent procedure for the patient suffering from prominent  nipples. This procedure can reduce the height and width of the nipple, usually preserving sensation. It can be done under local anesthesia or in combination with other procedures (under general anesthesia).

I like to use the “sleeve” technique to reduce the height of the nipple. This procedure leaves the core of the nipple intact preserving nerves and lactiferous ducts.  The  suture line  generally heals  very nicely in this area. The width of the nipple can be reduced by removing a triangular segment from the tip area.

Costs in our office range from $800 to $1200.

Nipple reduction scars and scar formation

+1

Nipple reduction surgery can reduce nipple size and height.  Scars usualy heal well, but this depends on the quality of your skin and the healing time of the wound. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Nipple reduction scars are very difficult to see

+1

Nipple reduction scars are very difficult to see because the nipple is a pigmented structure.  Many different techniques exist for nipple reduction for both women and men.  The procedure can offer the patient much improved self-confidence.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Depends what you are talking about

+1

A nipple reduction (the elevated appendage surrounded by the areola is tangentially amputated for reduction and leaves no visible scar. It is a very simple operation and done with local anesthesia.

An areolar reduction requires and incision completely around the areola and vertically to the inframammary crease (to allow for advancement of skin towards the areola. A donut mastopexy (the incision goes only around the areola) does not allow for reduction of the areola. In face, it might even result in a larger areola.

Nipple reduction scars are permanent but usually well tolerated

+1

The scars from nipple reduction surgery, like any other surgery, are permanent. However, the scarring for the surgery to reduce prominent nipples is usually very well tolerated.

You may be confusing this with surgery to reduce the areola, which is the dark area around the nipple. This produces a circular shaped scar around the areola and again this is permanent.

The appearance of this scar will vary based on the color of your skin, the technique used, and the amount of tissue that needs to be removed.

The best way to find out if you are a good candidate is to schedule a consultation with your surgeon. During that visit, you can also find out how much the procedure will cost.

Jeremy Waldman, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon