Should I get a nipple reduction in addition to a breast augmentation? If so, which approach would you recommend? (Photo)

How much of the droopiness could be corrected from the pressure of the implant? Would the aesthetics just be best if I had a nipple reduction anyway? I am 30 and have breast fed two children for approximately 2 1/2 years total. I am getting silicone implants 350/375 cc moderate plus.

To Augment or not.................To Reduce or not

+1
You are an excellent candidate for a breast augmentation. I would definitely suggest you chose silicone gel implants as oppose to saline. The incidence of rippling/wrinkling in someone with your breasts would, in my opinion, be unacceptable. As you may know, rippling or wrikling is when the folds of the implant become very prominent. The end result is that the patient will often feel these folds or worse yet, the folds become very visible and unsightly. Saline implants more often than not have a much higher incidence of this phenomenom when compared to silicone gels. In either case, the implants should be located behind the pectoral muscle.

As far as the nipple reduction, I would suspect that undergoing the augmentation, the isze of your nipple mat not be as distracting to you. There are various techniques that have been devised for this purpose and I would wait until after your breast augmentation. Whatever technique is eventually employed, I would caution you against loss of sensation and prominent scarring.

Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift(TM) for nipple reduction

+1
I recommend a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM. Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Through the same incision, implants can be placed. Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant. Small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it. 22% of women who undergo breast augmentation alone require revision within 2 years because they are dissatisfied with the result. Since you have breast fed, your breasts are drooping and depleted you would benefit from a simultaneous lift. Your areolas should be approximately 42 millimeters in diameter, which can be achieved with this technique.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a nipple reduction in addition to a breast augmentation? If so, which approach would you recommend?

+1
I think the aesthetics of the breasts could be markedly improved with breast augmentation alone.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Breast aug

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

I believe that you'll have great results if implants are placed, this will help your nipples take a new shape and correct droopiness as well.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD

Wait on Nipple reduction

+1
I agree wit the majority of the panel responses, WAIT!  Your breast will take on a very different look and be more in line with the sze of your nipples.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Reduction with Augmentation

+1
If you've already decided on augmentation, I would discuss this combined
procedure with your plastic surgeon. I usually advise patients to get used to
their augmented breast shape before making a decision about nipple reduction.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

+1
Not sure you mean either how to ask for a nipple reduction or what is the surgical approach? Either way needs ti be done IN PERSON. 

No nipple surgery

+1
It seems you're over thinking it. You"ll be thrilled with your breast aug and ,in all likelihood, not notice the projection of your nipples.. Good luck

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Nipple reduction with breast augmentation

+1
Hi. Enlarging your breasts will make your nipples more in proportion to your new breast size, and they may not worry you as much. If they really are bthering you could reduce the prominence at the same time - this is a simple procedure that can be performed under local anasthetic in the office at a later stage if you decide not to go ahead. There is no change in sensation and the risk of scarring is small with nipple reduction. Regards Dr Charles Cope

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

You do not need nipple reduction

+1
Thank you for your question and photographs.  Breast augmentation with breast implants will shape the areola and nipple and the nipples will look much more appropriate on a full breast.

I would not do a nipple reduction.  It will disturb your sensation and could create a scar.

If after your breast augmentation you decide you want a nipple reduction it could be done as a second procedure.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS