Will my Nipple Heal and Return to its Normal State?

I had nipple inversion surgery 12 days ago. Yesterday my ps dug out a black scab from the nipple. He said it would be ok then asked if I smoked. I've never smoked. It looks like the part that should protrude is gone. Will this grow back normal?

Lack of nipple projection even after corrective surgery

+1

If I understood correctly, you had surgery to correct inverted nipples 12 days prior to your plastic surgeon removing a black scab, and now the nipple is flat again.

The scab could simply be old blood and fibrin which is common in a surgical wound.   It may also be some tissue that did not heal.  

There are several surgies for correction of flat nipples, partly because none works perfectly all of the time.  

The best thing do do is to discuss this with your plastic surgeon as he knows what technique he used and is in the best position to advise you on your condition and what if any additional treatment you may need.

Additionally, you may want to seek a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon.