What Causes Nipple Asymmetry After Breast Augmentation?

I am 2 1/2 months post-op and am having noticeable nipple asymmetry. I did not have any asymmetry before and have seen, as my recovery has progressed, the asymmetry becoming worse. What are the causes of nipple asymmetry due to breast augmentation and how is that corrected with revision?

Nipples even prior to surgery but uneven after

+1

The nipple asymmetry is difficult to assess with your description only; however, assuming that your nipples were even prior to surgery, the uneveness must be due to the implants and may require implant revision.

Nipple Asymmetry After Augmentation

+1

Each patient may perceive small or any differences as significant when anticipating the best results.  A photo would help the advisors in this regard.  Again as others have mentioned, it would be nice to know what the preoperative condition was.

Often modestly asymmetric breasts with a small areolar discrepancy may be more apparent as the breasts are expanded and projected.  It is not uncommon for breasts and areolae to differ slightly in many women.  We have the occasion to see patients who don't have the correct poking-out factor through clothing which is a subtle variant of displeasure. 

Donn Hickman, MD

Post Breast Augmentation Nipple Asymmetry

+1

You do not state whether you had a breast lift (mastopexy) with the augmentation. Nipple asymmetry is more common with this procedure that with primary augmentation. You should not be afraid to discuss the asymmetry with your physician - ask to review your photos and discuss the reasons why it is more apparent now and what the causes might be. Differences in pocket size and development during the procedure can sometimes lead to breast asymmetry itself which can appear as nipple asymmetry. Regardless, your surgeon should be able to explain to you what the cause might be and recommend treatment or suggest doing nothing, Mild asymmetries may be best left alone.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

+1

I suggest asking your surgeon for a copy of your preoperative photos.  Many patients have nipple asymmetry prior to surgery which is magnified after surgery when their breasts become larger.  If you do not see any asymmetry at all after this, ask your surgeon to review the photos with you, as new asymmetry would be very unusual.  Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Nipple asymmetry after breast augmentation

+1

Unless the implants were placed in asymmetrical pockets (rare) or you have a super early capsular contracture (also rare), the thing you are most likely noticing is a magnification of your own preop asymmetry. It is amazing how many patients think they are symmetrical preop and then have a qustion like this only to see the magnification caused by surgery revealed when the carefully study their preop photos. I'd suggest you go back to your doctor and carefully review the preop photos - you'll probably see something you hadn't noticed before that expalins the problem.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Nipple asymmetry after breast augmentation can usually be corrected.

+1

Hi.

You may have had some nipple asymmetry before without noticing it, and the breast implants make it worse. But if your nipples were in fact symmetrical before (look at pre-op pictures), then the implant pockets may not be symmetrical. This can be corrected with revision breast augmentation. But wait at least a total of six months before contemplating another operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)