Nipple and Areola Caved in After Explant Surgery. What Can Be Done to Disguise the Scar? (photo)

I had my implants removed 7 months ago. The nipple-areola scar never improved and it pulled in and under where the incision was made. I'm having revision surgery in 3 days and I'm very nervous because I don't know what to expect. What can be done to disguise the scar? I was doing some research and it seems that there are different kinds of scalpel blades and it's better to use a short thin scalpel blade or even laser? What would you recommend? Many thanks in advance!

Nipple Areolar Scar Retraction Can Be Improved

+2

Scar revision of this problem should help you.  Separating the layers of scar from each other and filling the space with fat may help.  The problem is not that the skin was cut using a particular instrument, but that the healing tissue has formed a scar that extends from the skin through the underlying fat and breast tissue and the scar pulls the surface inward.  Scars normally form when our tissue heals, but unfortunately in some cases the scar is not as good as we hope and revisions are necessary.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your doctor.

Infra-areola scar indentation

+2

A scar revision seems reasonable. The indentation should be able to be improved by this method.  Good luck.

What Can Be Done to Disguise the Scar

+2

The instrument used to  make the incision does not matter. A standard scar revision with some tissue rearrangement to fill in the area, or fat grafting should result in a nice improvement.

Areola Caving In after Explant of Breast Implants

+1

This may not be the result of improper closure, and I suspect that it is not.  This is probably the result of having thin tissue at this level.  I would fat graft the area to plump it up.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com