Is it practical to have a tattoo removed after less than one month? (Photo)

I recently got a tattoo that is less than 1 month old. As you can see it is all black. I have already had a consultation with a doctor for laser removal but she wanted to start right away. I have read that you should wait up to 8 weeks before starting treatment on a new tattoo? Also would excision be an option? The tattoo is located on my right rib cage

Picosure Laser will remove your tattoo

+1
If you no longer want to keep your tattoo, I recommend learning about the Picosure Laser. This revolutionary new laser will permanently remove your tattoo while not harming the surrounding tissue. Consult with your doctor to find out more about the Picosure Laser.

3 months

+1
I like to wait 3 months.  Excision would likely leave you with an unsightly scar.  It would not be my first choice.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Turning of tattoo removal

+1
Thank you for your inquiry.  I am sorry that you are not fond of your recent tattoo.  As long as the tattoo is healed it is okay to move forward with laser treatments.  Treatments are typically spaced 4-8 weeks apart.  Black ink does respond better than most colors.  Excision is also an option but some visible scarring is likely to result.  Good luck!

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Laser vs Tattoo Excision

+1
Thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for laser tattoo removal, 4 to 6 weeks should be plenty of time for healing prior to starting laser treatments. Because your tattoo is all black and your skin is fairly light I would recommend having laser sessions to remove the tattoo. Excision will leave you with a undesirable scar in that area so I would avoid this option if possible. Consult with your provider about your options.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

It doesn't happen all at once

+1
I think you need to take some time to consider whether to proceed with laser or removal. I don't think it will alter your result whether you have laser now or in a few months when you have had more time to reflect on this.
Laser and excision are both possible and there are pros and cons of each. Make sure to consult with a PS who has access to a variety of lasers and can show you results they have achieved using the laser you are considering. There is a great variety of lasers and rather than rush into something, you should make sure you are fully informed of the pros and cons and risks and can make an informed decision as to how to proceed.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo removal options

+1
Black tattoos respond well to laser treatment with a series of treatments. These lasers are extremely powerful and use more energy than the city of Boston for the fraction of a second that they fire, so its important to see someone with advanced training in lasers for best and safest results. Surgical Excision can be an option to remove the tattoo if you have some laxity there but you will trade the tattoo for a linear scar. Best to see someone who can provide either option and then select what you think is the best solution. If you need it off asap, sometimes excision is a better option, if feasible, because it will remove the tattoo in one day. However keep in mind that you will trade the tattoo for a scar. Most patients tend to do laser tattoo removal and that requires a series of treatments that will gradually fade the tattoo.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon