Air Coming from Drainage Tube Site?

I had a full tummy tuck and lipo to the flank area 8 days ago. Today, I had my drainage tube removed. I'm noticing when I take off my compression garment and gently press on my tummy that air is expelling from the site where the drainage tube was. Is this normal? It's not painful just a very odd feeling. I've been looking online trying to find anything related to this at all but to no avail. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks.

Air in the JP bulbs after a tummy tuck

+1

This is most likely a benign finding, but check with your plastic surgeon to make sure nothing else is going on.

Air Coming from Drainage Tube Site

+1

This can occur after drain tube removal. It is temporary and should not cause excess worry.  It will cease as soon as the drainage holes are sealed.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Air From Drainage Tube

+1
Thank you for your question. It is common for a small amount of air or fluid to come from drainage holes soon after removal. This typically resolves within 48-72 hours of removal. Discuss with your surgeon if it persists.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Air Coming from Drainage Tube Site?

+1

After the drain is removed there may be a temporary communication that allows air to traverse from wound to outside.  This should resolve with the sealing of the drain site as healing continues.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Air from Drainage Tube Site after Tummy Tuck?

+1

What you are describing is not concerning.  There is a space between your skin and abdominal wall muscles  where air is present.  You will find that this  phenomenon will likely stop over the course of the next week.

Best wishes;  hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.