Convincing NHS of the Need for Tummy Tuck to Improve Quality of Life?

I need a Tummy Tuck on NHS as I'm single mother who can't afford to pay. Since I got this overhang, my confidence has gone. I have never been able to have sex in past relationships without being clothed. It has ruined every relationship I have had since I've had this problem.

My sex life is dead as I can't relax during it because all I'm conscious of is them seeing my saggy stomach as well as my breasts that are just as bad. How can I get any help?

I've tried my doctors and getting no where. I cannot afford to pay my self plus I got bad credit history. This is really affecting my life.

Cosmetic Surgery and Health Insurance

+1

A tummy tuck is considered a cosmetic procedure and cosmetic procedures are not shown to improve your health/medical condition. Therefore the procedure would not be covered.

A panniculectomy, which is removal of the excess skin without tightening the muscles or moving the belly button may be covered by health insurance given a medical reason. The pannus has to be of significant size.

Hope that helps.

Cosmetic Surgery and Payments

+1

I am sorry to hear about your situation, I really empathisize. However, Tummy Tuck is by definition a cosmetic procedure and therefore not covered by insurance. If you have a large apron of skin/fat, that would be a panniculectomy, and sometimes it is covered by insurance. Not always however.

Perhaps you could start saving a little every week, like a lay away plan.

Best of luck.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Cosmetic surgery not covered by NHS

+1

Sorry but cosmetic surgery is NOT covered by NHS. Try going to a plastic surgery residency program's clinic, so you can be seen by the residents in plastic surgery traning. This is a very inexpensive way to obtain cosmetic surgery at a reduced fee. Regards.

Tummy tuck improves quality of life

+1

It is a truism that all of what we do in cosmetic plastic surgery is intended to improve the quality of life for our patients, and there is good evidence that it does. I am sure that the NHS works the same way as health plans around the world, though, in that cosmetic surgery would not be paid for. there are circumstances where the same operation would be done for a specific reason of functional improvement, but these are rare situations and yours doesn't sound like one of them. Dr. Rand had a very good suggestion that you look into options at a teaching hospital.

Richard Baxter, MD

Cosmetic surgery isn't a covered benefit

+1

Unfortunately, despite your troubles with self-esteem, the NHS as with all health providers has to decide where to allocate limited resources and these just can't go toward cosmetic surgery. Perhaps a university teaching hospital has a training program in plastic surgery where young surgeons can do the surgery you need for a much reduced rate. At least that is an alternative in the US. Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS