Nose is Red After Augmentation Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I recently had augmentation rhinoplasty, using ear cartilage. The 6th day post-op, I developed a sore throat. My nose was taped not in a cast. Once this was removed I noticed that my nose is very red. What are the chances I have an infection? or some this redness is permanent? Is there a risk to my skin's circulation?

Cartilage Graft and Infection

+1

In general, redness after a rhinoplasty with the placement of a graft should be examined.  There is always a possibility of infection, though small, or skin compromise.  Either way, if you have concerns, you need an exam with your plastic surgeon.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Need to see your plastic surgeon today

+1

You need to go see your plastic surgeon today to make sure your healing properly.  This might be nothing to be concerned about but an examination is the only way you will get your answer.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Nose is Red After Augmentation Rhinoplasty?

+1

From the photo provided the big concern is that you have a smoldering infection or the nasal skin's blood supply has been compromised.  You should see your Rhinoplasty Surgeon ASAP IMHO.

Redness after a rhinoplasty

+1

I would see your surgeon today. Although this can be bruising or blood under the skin, it appears to be an infection. 

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Redness after rhinoplasty with cartilage graft may be an infection.

+1

Redness in this location could indicate infection, or could simply be part of the healing process. Without an examination it is impossible to tell, but if it is infection, early treatment may help preserve your graft and good outcome. Residual redness from the surgical and healing process will improve over time, but if it does not resolve completely, pulsed dye laser treatment can eliminate most if not all of the redness.

First things first: see your doctor immediately to make sure infection, if present, is treated appropriately. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Redness post rhinoplasty

+1

with just the photo to go on for an evaluation. I would see your plastic surgeon today. It looks like you have an infection. you may have seeded the area from your throat infection. It may be reaction to the tape as well, but an examination by your surgeon will help with that determination. Do not delay.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

The redness on your nose after Augmentation Rhinoplasty should be evaluated by your surgeon.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photo:

The redness appears localized and intense. This could be an infection, or possibly contact dermatitis from the tape on your nose. Your surgeon would be the best person to evaluate your condition and recommend treatment.

All the best to you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Redness post rhinoplasty should be evaluated

+1

After a surgical procedure if you have any redness of pain you should be seen immediately by a physician.  This may be the sign of an early infection and prompt treatment will lead to the best outcome.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon