Fillers in the Nose?

I had Restylane removed from nose a 4 days ago and I am set to go in for Rhinoplasty surgery next Monday, the filler was place by my Dr. to add volume to my bridge and radix. I have two questions, is this an appropriate amount of time? And what kind of complications will/can the temporary filler cause to the surgery? If need be I will postpone this surgery? (please do not respond with I need to speak to my PS. or anything like that. ( because I have. I would like other professional opinions)

Restylane removal

+1

You should be just fine so long as your physician agrees, and I wouldn't postpone your surgery unless otherwise advised by your plastic surgeon.

Radiesse Removed Prior to Rhinoplasty

+1

Radiesse adequately removed with hyaluronidase prior to rhinoplasty should not provide an impediment to proper rhinoplasty evaluation and surgery.

Effect of Restylane in the nose on rhinoplasty

+1

The possibility of inaccurately assessing the nasal contour due to the presence of filler is probably the most worrisome possible complication.  However, the hyaluronidase works rapidly to dissolve the Restylane, and with appropriately placed injections should have removed any filler present by this time.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Hyaluronidase works rapidly to dissolve hyaluronic acid

+1

Hyaluronidase works rapidly to dissolve hyaluronic acid, and is more effective at dissolving restylane than juvederm.  It can be repeated if you still feel you have some product there.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Timing of a rhinoplasty following Wydase injections to melt HA filler

+1

You did not mention if your plastic surgeon was the one who did the initial injection of Restylane to the nose.  When injected appropriately these HA type fillers can give a nice, but temporary, change to the nose.  The use of Wydase or Collagenase will rapidly dissolve the material.  It usually takes only a few days.  If you are considering a major procedure such as a rhinoplasty you may want to give it more than 4 days to return to base line contour.  This is only my opinion.  

Restylane removal from the nose should not affect rhinoplasty results

+1

Resumably your plastic surgeon used hyaluronidase injections to 'remove' the Restylane (an HA filler) from the dorsum and radix of your nose. The filler is likely 'digested' at this point and the tissues hopefully have recovered, are soft and pliable with no signs of infection. If all of the above is true, then there should not be any issues with subsequent rhinoplasty, dorsal graft placement or other rhinoplasty  techniques.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS