Augmenting the Width of my Nose?

I am about to go in for my second rhinoplasty, my first was to correct a saddle nose deformity. The PS. Used my septal cartilage for this surgery. But we both agreed I need a little more width in the bridge and radix, I essentially would like a more masculine nose. He is going to take ear cartilage to do this.( is this the best option) What are the risks/benefits of this type of revision. ie. possible damage to my ear and nose? Is widening near the tip and radix difficult?

Bridge augmentation of nose

+1

I prefer to use rib cartilage for dorsal augmentation in most cases as opposed to ear cartilage. This cartilage is usually sturdier.

Dorsal nasal augmentation.

+1

Augmenting the nasal dorsum is best done using an autograft with one's own cartilage.  Three sources are available for cartilage autografts:

• nasal septum
  • ear
  • rib

Each donor site has unique properties and associated risks and the best source for cartilage grafting varies between patients.  It is best to consult with an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Additional bridge augmentation for saddle nose deformity

+1

Ear cartilage is a good source of cartilage for augmenting the bridge. I use it quite commonly. It's impossible to say whether this is the best source for you without examining your nose, though.

With any revision rhinoplasty there is a risk of bleeding, infection, asymmetry, over or under-correction, numbness, change to shape of the ear, etc. Your surgeon would probably be a better person to discuss your specific risks.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Saddle nose deformities

+1

There are two options for improving a saddle nose deformity.  The first is to fill in the defect with cartilage, which could be septal cartilage, or ear cartilage.

The second option is to structurally correct the saddle nose by adding a strong cartilage graft to the saddled in septum and then attach the other saddled in cartilage structures to the new, stronger and higher septum.  It is technically more difficult to do, but tends to give a better-looking result that is more normal.  It also makes the nose look a bit wider.  

This technically more difficult procedure is within the competence of many surgeons.  It requires the use of rib cartilage.

Douglas J. Kibblewhite, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal augmentation with ear cartilage

+1
It is more difficult to use ear cartilage than septal cartilage, though it is a very good choice for secondary rhinoplasty when the septum is unavailable to widen the nose. Risks to the ear are few, as cartilage is used where it will not show.

Revision rhinoplasty to widen the nose.

+1

Revision rhinoplasty to widen the nose is done with ear cartilage which I have used if none is left in the septum for 35 years . This should be all you need and NOT RIB.