Newest Dermal Fillers?

I had Juvederm injected on my lips, and while the left side held fine, the right side held poorly. Is there anything new on the horizon for dermal fillers, something that has more staying power compared to the dermal fillers we have at present? I have spent a lot on my lips and it's just not staying.

New Dermal Fillers Versus Fat Transfer for Youthful Faces

+3

Hi CRL,

There are many new fillers on the horizon, but none that last longer than the available hyaluronic acid fillers (Juviderm and Restylane). The best permanent filler for your lips and face is your own fat. No, we don't need donors. Many patients do choose to have their own fat harvested from the abdomen, hips, or thighs and transferred into their face.

We know that the fat that is present 6 months following the procedure is living fat and will be there with you as you age. Depending upon how the fat is harvested, prepared prior to injection, injected, and the patient's health, anywhere from 40 to 60% of transferred fat survives. The fat that doesn't survive is removed from the body through natural physiologic processes.

As fat is a permanent filler, it is most important that you choose a physician with experience, skill, and aesthetic judgment for your fat transfer procedure.

Good luck and happy holidays.

Dr. P

New fillers not ideal for lips

+3

There are some new fillers, but in general the lips can be a problem for any injectable. Perhaps because there is so much motion, injectable fillers just don't seem to want to stay there. Juvederm ultra plus is usually a very good choice. Longer lasting fillers such as Radiesse seem to be prone to getting lumpy in lips, same for the new long-lasting collagen Evolence. This one is a good choice for other areas though since it integrates into the tissue. For patients who need a long-lasting lip augmentation that feels natural, I use Alloderm, which is a surgical implant not an injectable filler.

Richard Baxter, MD

Longer lasting fillers are not indicated for the lips

+2

Fillers do go away more quickly in the lips than anywhere else on the face. The longer lasting products such as Radiesse, Evolence and Sculptra are not indicated for lip augmentation as visible lumps might result.

Gore-Tex implants had been tried in the past but have fallen into disfavor.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Lips are not forgiving

+2

In general, fillers used in the lips are not very long lasting. This is most likely due to the extensive motion that takes place in this area. The duration of the filler is somewhat dependent on the technique of injection and the area of the lip into which the filler is placed. Juvederm Ultra Plus seems to hold up the longest in the lips in my practice. There are other more permanent methods of enhancing the lips, such as fat injection or surgical insertion of materials like Alloderm or Goretex. These methods require anesthesia, and operating room costs, as well as, significant recovery times, but they are an option. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Nothing better, except your own fat.

+2

Thirty years ago we began using fat from the patient to get permanent filling. Since that time we have seen this called false. Well, thirty years ago I placed concentrated fat in three patients and one year later had to go back and remove some. It does last and is safe. The only problem is the difference in the quantity that lasts forever--is it 30%, 40%,etc. That will depend on the patient and the surgeon.

Lip fllers

+1

Even products such as fat which  may be considered "more permanent" tend to resorb in the lips morse so than any other part of the face.