Will Blood Loss Delay TT/BL?

I had intercourse with my boyfriend. It's been 1.5 yrs since last encounter. This tore my cervix which required a trip to the ER & stitches. I lost 1 liter of blood and was given 3 liters of IV fluids. I'm on iron now for 6 wks. I'm worried that the blood loss may interfere with TT, breast lift (in implants) and lipo to belly/flanks scheduled 7 wks away (6/26th). The ER gyn said no worries, but I'm worried my PS may want to delay procedure. Anything I can do to bounce back? Thank You!

Blood loss delaying surgery?

+1

This would only be a problem if it was acute and recent.  Something happening 1.5 years ago is not acute and your body should have recovered from it.  In addition, your surgeon will be doing an exam and ordering some blood work that should confirm that you are recovered to have your elective procedure.

Will Blood Loss Delay TT/BL?

+1

Best advice is to let your surgeon be aware of this. It takes about 3 weeks for the iron to begin to show results, so perhaps checking your blood counts in a month, which is 3 weeks before surgery would make sense. By then you and your surgeon can decide if your procedure is safe to carry out as planned, and most likely it will be. 

All the best. 

Blood loss prior to TT, Lipo and BL

+1

Hi,

There should be enough time to make up for the blood loss you experienced.

It is important to monitor your recovery and make sure your Hemoglobin levels are good to go at the time of your surgery. You should let your Plastic Surgeon know what's going on as you will experience further blood loss at the time of your operation.

All the best for your procedure.

Douglas McManamny, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Checking Hemoglobin Level Prior to Surgery?

+1

Most likely your plastic surgeon will be checking your hemoglobin level prior to proceeding. Also most likely, in this intervening time period, your hemoglobin will return to normal. In the meantime, continue with the iron medication as well as iron containing foods etc.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure.

Getting ready for surgery

+1

Let your surgeon know right away. If it needs to be delayed it would be for your safety. I think that your surgeon might want to check your blood levels to see your progress.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Will Blood Loss Delay TT/BL?

+1

I think you will need to be cleared by your primary care physician prior to undergoing surgery. After your 6 weeks of iron therapy see your PCP for a lab recheck and for stabilization of your Hemoglobin level prior to surgery.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Anemia and surgery

+1

Dear Delaware Daisy.  It's difficult to answer this question without some labwork.  You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  He or she will likely order bloodwork to see if you are anemic.  Once your surgeon sees your hemoglobin (or hematocrit) levels, then they can decide if you will be safe to have surgery. 

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Blood loss

+1

Good morning!

It is good that you have 6 weeks to regain you blood lost after your ordeal.  It sounds like you are doing the right things as far as taking iron- i would also be sure you are eating a balanced diet to optimize your blood making ability.

Most importantly, I would discuss this with your PS now.  He/she may wish to check your blood level now and again closer to surgery to not only be sure it is increasing, but that it is at a safe level to undergo elective cosmetic surgery.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD