Do I need clitoral hood reduction to achieve the look I want? I want the inner labia to sit tidy inside the outer labia. (photo)

i have posted some pics of my labia & also attached 3 photos of how i WANT it to look after . i think i need a clitoral hood reduction as well as the labia. I had surgons via email disagree and think just a labia reduction will do.I imagine if they were to only reduce the labia, then i will still have a large pertrusion. i just want my labia to sit inside the outer labia.is this achievable ? do u think i need a clitoral hood reduction to achieve the look i want in the last 3 pics ? please help !

Labiaplasty

+2
Your pictures suggest that the results you wish to achieve are realistic.  The terminology for such procedures can be a bit confusing.  I think the results you desire will require addressing the labia minora and the clitoral hood.  Reducing the labia minora and its extension toward the clitoral hood will allow the entire area to be more compact and rest within the vulva as expectations wish. Seek out a PS who has experience in such issues and ask to see photos of patients who had similar wishes.

Spring Hill Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction?

+2
Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy). Based upon your photos, your anatomy as well is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and turns out to be a huge (sexual) self-confidence booster after.
Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years. Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry". Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result. Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible. Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically 7-8 mm actually. To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best. It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week). It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life. Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.

Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible. Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome. Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.

Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly. Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there. Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation. No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks. My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Do I need a clitoral hood reduction?

+2
Based on your photos, the results you desire should be attainable.  To me, the "wedge" resection does not address the elongated clitoral hood.  I perform a clitoral hood retraction in most labiaplasty procedures in order to create proportion to the vulvar anatomy.  The "trim" method is really descriptive of just removing the redundancy of the lower portion of the labia minor.  The wedge procedure cuts across a natural structure and is not as respectful of the natural anatomy as is removal of the excessive labia minor and clitoral hood skin.

I prefer to call reduction of the labia minora and retraction of the clitoral hood a "labioclitoroplasty.

Steven J. Smith, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Do I need clitoral hood reduction to achieve the look I want? I want the inner labia to sit tidy inside the outer labia.

+1
Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction would seem reasonable based upon the photos presented.

Very realistic goals

+1
It is difficult to say for sure without a formal examination, but from the photos it does appear that both your clitoral hood and labia minora are enlarged. It is very reasonable that you could have a vagina similar to the ones posted with a labiaplasty. It is best to find a plastic surgeon and undergo a consultation/examination in order for you to decide together what will be the best option for you to achieve your aesthetic goals.

Erika Sato, MD

You can certainly achieve your goals

+1
and your photos suggest you will benefit from a hood reduction but be cautious with how its done (vertical or horizontal).  The 'after' photo you show shows the results from a 'trim method' and I personally think the wedge provides a better outcome with less risk.  Most of the 'nightmare' results here are from trim techniques which leave permanent scarring and are more difficult to correct if needed.  But to really know, you should see a local surgeon experienced with both techniques who can provide you options to choose from to help you best achieve your goals.  And you should also know what the revision policy is as you may need to use if it the result isn't good enough for you.

Curtis Wong, MD