Is a chin augmentation/implant right for me? (photos)

I've been very insecure about my chin for a couple years now and had bracers for 2 1/2 years. I know I have a receding chin but I do not want to get jaw surgery because of price and I'm also a little scared of it, and am just wondering if a chin implant would be another option to improve my profile? Cheers

Jaw surgery is out - can a chin implant be in?

+1
Yes, you have a receding chin. Jaw surgery might be ideal but a chin implant will definitely help give you a stronger profile.

You look fairly young - if you are still growing, it is best to postpone the implant until you have stopped.

Chin implant candidate

+1
Only you the patient can make a decision as to whether or not you wish to proceed with an elective cosmetic surgery such as a chin implant. Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, are inserted through small sub mental incision under either a local or general anesthesia. The implants are composed of Silastic, which is inert. They are placed directly over the bone and  give added frontal projection and a small amount of lateral width and  vertical height. For many examples, please see the links below

Is a chin augmentation/implant right for me?

+1
You have a very recessed chin which affects your overall profile. You are the typical young man that comes to my office and relates stories about how he hates photos of him taken from the side. You would definitely benefit from a chin implant. Make sure that when you discuss this with your surgeon that measurements are taken so that the right profile and projection of the implnat chosen will best benefit you. Good luck

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

+1
Looking at your photos, it appears a chin implant would help to enhance your profile. A chin implant can do the following:

1) Strengthen the jawline
2) Complement the features of the face

I would recommend a consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who has experience performing chin implants. Computer imaging software may be used to morph a photo of you. This will give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1
Yes, a chin implant would work great for you!  You have a recessed chin.  The purpose of the chin implant will be to add projection to the chin.  It would help balance out the lower half of your face.

A chin implant can help a receding chin.

+1
Chin implants are the simplest surgical procedures for augmenting a small chin.  They are very effective for advancing the chin prominence, however they cannot shorten or lengthen a chin. In your case it appears that your chin needs to be shortened. It looks like you are forcing your lips together, making you look very serious and angry. If you relax your lower lip, I think you will see that there is a large gap between your upper and lower lips. Therefore, shortening your chin and sliding it forward with a bony sliding genioplasty would provide the best cosmetic improvement.  It will give you the stronger chin that you want and it will relax your lower lip to make you look happier.

Kevin L. McBride, DDS
Dallas Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Options to improve profile from recessed chin - chin augmentation, genioplasty, sagittal split osteotomy

+1
Chin augmentation is a good option to address a recessed chin, and as you mentioned, is "lower impact" than some of the other surgical options.  With normal occlusion, this is one of the most straightforward options for safely achieving an improved profile.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Possible chin augmentation candidate

+1
Assuming that everything is normal in regards to your teeth and bite, your photos indicate that you would be a good candidate for chin augmentation with an implant.  There are various styles and sizes of implants and you and your surgeon could decide which might be best for you.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon