Can I Change from High Profile Silicone Under the Muscle Implants to Moderate Profile over the Muscle Implants? (photo)

The reason I ask is I have hypertrophic scars and would like to make them less conspicuous? I am having a corrective mammoplasty as my left breast pocket is slightly bigger causing the implant to slip to the side when I lay down. I am aware simply increasing the implant size will likely raise the scars to a more visible height.

Pocket Revision or Skin Removal

+1

There are a couple of options here.  Due to the fact that you have a sizeable IMF incision and a scar of concern, the scar and additional skin at the IMF can be excised to camouflage the double bubble.  Also, the pocket can be closed but the scar will appear lower - not what you want, unless skin is taken at the same time.  Larger implants may be appropriate for the larger pocket but may contribute to further implant descent and superior scar migration.

Implant revision

+1

It looks like you have the early signs of double bubble developing. A pocket revision can help imrpove this. As for the scars usually the redness settles down with time. Pocket position change will not affect your scar results.

Can I Change from High Profile Silicone Under the Muscle Implants to Moderate Profile over the Muscle Implants?

+1

Withy the complaints you state I would consider revision surgery to try and alleviate these issues. Best to you. 

+1

The result is good, you need some correction to avoid the double bubble, the scar, and the pocket.

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Implant Malposition

+1

A suturing technique called a capsullorrhaphy can help in reducing the size of your pockets and prevent your implants from slipping to the sides when you lie down. This can also be performed along the bottom edge of your breasts near your inframammary scar to improve the appearance of the double creases that are seen on your frontal view. Your scar can be removed at the time of surgery and the new incision can be repositioned in the natural crease of an elevated inframammary fold.

With regard to implants, when you have them placed above the muscle you run the risk of having more visible rippling, especially if your breasts were small to begin with. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your question and photos. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Exchange

+1

Exchanging the profile of the implant with the surgery is always an option. If you are happy with the implants and you have hypertrophic scars why dont you just treat the scar.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS