TT with Lipo in Santo Domingo Two Weeks Ago, Have Small Seranoma Can It Be Drained Here?

Overall I'm VERY happy with the results. I flew down 12/6 had surgery 12/7 and came back last Thursday. The morning of my flight the doctor removed some liquid via some sort of syringe. He said I needed compression to ensure it doesn't continue to accumulate. The garment is very uncomfortable and I tried to have it altered. Needless to say it was ruined. Now I need to go buy a new one. Not sure where. My question is: where can I have it drained again if need be?

TT with Lipo in Santo Domingo

+2

When fluid collections occur, it is not uncommon that several such aspirations are needed. Sometimes a drain is needed. 

As far as compression, try Spanx, which you can get at many department stores. As far as finding someone to drain this, you may have some difficulty and expense. Most surgeons are very unexcited about taking on complications from another surgeon. 

As to fees, the CMS (center for medicare services) breaks down Medicare fees for surgery into segments for pre-op care, post-op care, and the operation itself. The operation is usually 70-75 % of the fee. When I am asked to take on an out of the country complication, I have no problem asking as a fee 30% of what I would have charged for the operation that was done in order to take on the postop care.  And I find that to be cheap, since I am taking on a more complex than usual post op course. That fee would not include any surgery  if further surgery is required.

Thank you for your question, best wishes. 

Seroma after TT

+2

If your doctor was honest, he would have told you that you will need to have the seroma re-drained, possibly multiple times before it resolves. Once a seroma forms, regardless of why, it is difficult and time consuming to treat, and compression garments have little to no effect on their resolution.

I don't think you are willing to jump on a plane and go back to your surgeon, but you will need it to be treated.  You will need to find a surgeon in NY and pay for his services.  No one can tell you how many times it will take for the seroma to resolve, but I can tell you that it frequently takes 5 to 10 visits to irradicate. 

This surgery may turn out to be more expensive than you bargained. 

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

+2

These are reasons out of country surgery has an issue. You must start calling boarded PSs in NY to see if they will/would take responsibility for your care. It will be very hard to find one. But you must offer to pay for their time. Fees would be in the $800 to $1,500 range. 

Compression and Drainage after Liposuction

+2

Compression is absolutely essential, and drainage may be necessary.  If I were you, I would contact a local plastic surgeon's office and explain the situation.  They could provide a garment and drain the fluid collection, if necessary.  Even if this costs you several hundred dollars, it would be more than worth it rather than have contour irregularity that cannot be fixed.

Abdominoplasty

+1

If you need fluid drained, then you should go back to the surgeon that did the procedure. Few surgeons are going to be willing to take on the risk of treating a patient that went out of the country to have surgery, and did not wear the garment as supplied, and then developed a problem. If you thought the surgeon you chose was worth the trip, then you should think he is the best to manage the problem.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon