Suffered Cold at 6 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty. Would Blowing Nose Affect Surgical Result?

Hi doctors, @ 6 weeks after rhinoplasty to correct my crooked nose resulting from physical trauma, I caught a cold & blew my nose W/O twisting it. Would the surgical result be adversely affected? More specifically, would the shaved-down bone segment grew back up (leading to crookedness again)? And would my entire nose shift toward left/right? Thanks.

Blowing nose after rhinoplasty

+1

We generally advise patients to avoid blowing the nose during the first few weeks after surgery to avoid bleeding. Blowing the nose lightly after 2 weeks should not have a negative impact on your healing. And the shaved down bone segment will not grow back up, resulting in any crookedness. This also should not result in shifting of the nose.  After 6 weeks, your bones are healed and your nose is strong. From here there should not be too many restrictions. I would recommend the following:

1) Touch base with your surgeon, and ask them about any specific guidelines they have in regard to blowing the nose post-operatively
2) Ask your surgeon what he or she recommends from here to continue to ensure your recovery progresses nicely

Every surgeon has their own specific post-operative instructions, and it is best to follow up with him or her. 

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blowing nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Blowing your nose 6 weeks after rhinoplasty should not affect the results. Nose blowing may affect healing of the tissues on the inside of the nose in the first 2-3 weeks after surgery. If you feel that the shape of your nose has shifted you should return to your surgeon for an evaluation. 

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

+1

Usually by 6 weeks, the nose is pretty stable.  If there is any concern, an exam by your surgeon would be in order.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nose Blowing after Rhinoplasty

+1

Gentle nose blowing shouldn't be an issue this far out. It is important to see you surgeon to discuss any concerns you have. Feel better

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Blowing the nose 6 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Blowing the nose gently 6 weeks after surgery should not have a negative impact on your final result. I would recommend following up with your surgeon regarding any post-operative concerns, as they know the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty 6 Weeks Post Op

+1

At 6 weeks post op your nose should be strong enough to gently blow it.  Sorry you have a cold.  When you feel better, schedule a follow up appointment with your Plastic Surgeon to ease your mind.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD