What Are Symptoms of a Ruptured Implant?

With Silicon Implant Rupture, Are These Symptoms Normal ---burning (Shoulder/arm), Chills and Tired, Muscle Aches -

+2

For the overwhelming percentage of patients with ruptured gel implants, there are no symptoms. There are usually no finding on physical exam. In the FDA studies after the implant scare during the 1990ies, the surgeons could detect less than one in three leaks that were documented on MRI. 

By your name it sounds like you are having an explantation .  Best wishes, hope your symptoms resolve. 

Symptoms of Ruptured Breast Implants

+1

Thank you for your question. Usually a rupture follows some trauma and the breast may develop some firmness or hardness, and may begin to change. Sometimes the leak is silent with no warning. Have a mammogram with skilled personnel who can detect leaks. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Symptoms with implant rupture

+1

Since silicone is an inert substance, there are no discrete symptoms associated with a rupture on a silicone implant. There can be a change is shape or size of the breast, but commonly these ruptures are "silent" or go unnoticed. MRI is most useful in evaluating if an implant is ruptured. The symptoms you have may may not be related to the implant. Discuss with your surgeon to determine if more work-up is needed. 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Symptoms of failed implants

+1

There are no specific symptoms, health threats, or changes in look from silicone gel-filled implants that have failed. There is also no simple test to prove they are intact or have failed. The best test currently is an MRI. 

I would also add that I would not expect nor would I tell a patient that symptoms they are experiencing will be gone or change because the implant is removed, whether intact or not. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implant ruptures and symptoms

+1

There are no specific systemic affects or symptoms that you would experience froma ruptures silicone implant because they are inert.  You might see a change of breast shape or flatness.

Silicone Implant Rupture

+1

A ruptured silicone implant can be hard to detect.  If it is a severe rupture occurs then there may be some breast deformity.  Most silicone gel ruptures are smaller and more difficult to detect. Your plastic surgeon may be able to detect these smaller ruptures but if there is suspicion then a MRI needs to be performed. MRI is recommended every 2-3 years to survey for any potential issues.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

No

+1

These do not sound like normal symptoms.  Given your name Breast Explant April 2013 it sounds like you are scheduled next month for removal.  Thus I would call that surgeon and discuss these symptoms.  Good luck and feel better!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon