What Can I Do Now? How Soon Can I Revise This Revision? (photo)

When I was 18, I had saline implants placed under the muscle, taking me from a non-existent a-cup to quite a full C. My implants held up for 10 years and I never had any complaints about symmetry, rippling, etc. I had this surgery because I thought my right breast was slowly deflating. It was not, but my po did not realize that until I was in surgery. I am not sure what the original problem was, but this surgery only made it worse. Is it illegal for a dr to lie about being board certified?

It Is Illegal To Lie About Board Certification

+2
It's unfortunate that this happened to you, especially when your original saline implants were fine.

It is illegal for a doctor to lie about being board certified, however, sometimes doctors may be a little unclear about what board certification they have - this is not illegal. For example, they may be a board certified Dermatologist, but not a Plastic Surgeon. Did your surgeon specify what board certification they had? In Canada, you are able to check the certification of any licensed doctor online by visiting the governing medical body in every province. You could probably do this in New York as well here nydoctorprofile.com.

I wish you all the best in resolving your problem.

Suboptimal result after breast augmentation revision

+2

You essentially have 2 issues here - the poor cosmetic result of your repeat surgery, and the qualification of your surgeon. Regarding the outcome, you certainly have a suboptimal result (this is doctor talk for "bad").  You have asymmetry that may be related to capsular contracture or implant malposition.  Without an in-person examination it is impossible to say for sure which is the problem. You will most likely need another revision.  Regarding board certification, yes it is illegal to say you are board certified when you are not. However, there are many different board certifications and there are some unscrupulous doctors that mislead you by saying they are "board certified" without saying what they are board certified in. You wanted a board certified plastic surgeon, but may have gotten a board certified general surgeon. While unethical, this may not be illegal.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Breast issue in NYC

+2

It may take time for the implant to come down. If surgery was a while ago ,then it probably won't and you will need further surgery to correct this probable capsule issue. Good luck.

Revision and board certification issues

+2
I am sorry that you are unhappy with the revision. You should give it a bit of time. If possible, I have my potential deflation patients have an MRI or ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis. This does add another layer of expense but it is frequently covered by insurance, unlike the surgery, and it is possible for something to appear like a slow leak deflation but then to have the MRI confirm that the implant is intact. In terms of board certification, the American Board of Plastic Surgery is the AMA-sanctioned board in our specialty. Anyone can create a "board" so you really have to be knowledgeable about the boards and their standards. However, if someone who isn't board certified in anything led you to believe that he or she was, that is a different matter. In NY, the reporting agency is the OPMC and it would review your complaint and has the power to sanction the physician.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Time for another opinion

+2

Yours is a complex situation and certainly your result is not optimal.  As to the Board Certification issue, you can look up at plasticsurgery.org whether your surgeon was Board Certified in Plastic Surgery.  Unfortunately the law does not prevent basically about anybody from doing cosmetic surgery even with no formal plastic surgery training. Find out who is the best Board Certified Plastic Surgeon (not "cosmetic surgeon") in your area and go for another opinion. Good luck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

What Can I Do Now? How Soon Can I Revise This Revision?

+2

Last question first--this is not a forum for dispensing legal advise. There are a few surgeons who are also attorneys, but not many. The laws covering this kind of behavior would vary state by state. you might be able to find an answer were you to inquire at the state medical board. 

On the post op photos I can certainly see why you are dissatisfied with the current outcome. Normally I would suggest discussing with your surgeon what makes you unhappy and then work out the possible fixes that are available. However, with the implication that this work was not done by a board certified plastic surgeon, I would seek out one or more second opinions. 

Thanks for you question and for the photos. Best wishes. 

Breast Augmentation Revision

+1

I am not sure what was done during the revision, as the last picture shows good symmetry.   This should have been straightfoward.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and revisions each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Problem after breast revision

+1

It appears that there is either a capsular contraction or meal position of the implant. Depending on the timing since surgery another revision may be necessary. As for your question about board certification, it is illegal to falsely claim certification. However, some still do it and or are purposely vague about why they are board certified in.  You need to see a board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy after Revisionary Breast Surgery?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complications you have had after breast surgery. Given that you have had revision breast surgery recently, it will likely be in your best interest to wait at least 6 months before evaluating the end results of the procedure performed. At that point, if you remain displeased, consider seeking 2nd opinion consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience with revisionary breast surgery.

Make sure you communicate your goals carefully/clearly with your consultants.

Worse after a revision

+1

can be quite disconcerting as you are right now.  First, it is illegal to misrepresent yourself as board certified but was your surgeon saying board certified plastic surgeon, or just a board certified surgeon?  Secondly, you have a major mismatch and a revision will be needed.  There are so many different options that you will have to see another surgeon for a second opinion, unless you still have a great relationship with your original surgeon.  Regardless, you should be presented with options to chose from and you should understand the risks of each approach.

Curtis Wong, MD