Replace 500cc with 250cc Doable?

Me: 5'7" 40yrs old 115lbs white thin skin 34D 500cc silicone over the muscle for 15 yrs - No scar tissue, very soft, v. minor ripping on one section of left breast. "A" cup before. I want to exchange them for 250cc silicone. I really don't care about some sag - I actually welcome the thought of it after having these circus balloons for so long. My concern is rippling and waaay too much sag. I'm a vegan health nut & my skin is in nice condition & they've been kept in the shade. Thoughts?  Thank You in Advance for Your Thoughts/experiences!

Should be downsized with shaped implants

+1

You may need breast lift after downsizing from 500 cc to 250 cc.I feel the new implant shoud be anatomical  250 cc implant ,so that there is less compromise on the shape of the breasts.

India Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing breast implants

+1

There are several misconceptions that seem to be perpetuated by the responses I see here. 

Regarding full explantation of an implant -- putting in implants doesn't truly lift the breast and removing them doesn't make them truly sag. There is also no "tightening" of the skin that occurs with a lift. Both the lift and sag effect of implants are illusions. Implants above the muscle, particularly large ones, tend to stretch and distort the skin and tissues more than properly sized or sub-pectoral implants, but a lot happens over 15 yrs that has nothing to do with the implant. 

Regarding the downsizing -- it's a myth that one can choose any size implant and make it work either starting out or exchanging. Old implants were nearly all medium profiles and you can increase or decrease the profile to a high or low profile volume/projection and the tissues will tolerate it. It's usually possible to put a wider/taller round implant in an old pocket around an implant, but you can't put an implant with a lesser diameter in an old pocket and expect it to fit and look right. Therefore, you should find out the diameter of your existing implant (or have the plastic surgeon estimate it) and look up a lowest profile silicone gel implant of that diameter and find out how many cc's it's rated. That's your most realistic option for downsizing, but it won't be just any number of cc's like 250. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Replacing 500cc with 250cc Implants?

+1

Thank you for the questions but online consultants, without the benefit of in person examination, will not be of much specific help to you.

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in person may be helpful.  The attached link may also be helpful.

Implant exchange from 500 to 250 cc's

+1

While exchanging the implants to a smaller size such as the 250cc implants is certainly posible, you may eventually want a lift to tighten the skin envelope around the implants. Best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

Thank you for keeping them in the shade...

+1

MB,

that has helped maintain your skin elasticity.  However, downsizing from a 500cc implant to a 250cc will in all likelihood necessitate a lift.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD