Ptosis Revision? (photo)

Hello Doctors, I'm going on 5 months post op from my second ptosis revision and third ptosis surgery in total. I still wake up every morning with swelling, is it normal to have swelling this far after my revision? How long does it take for swelling to go down for a person who had multiple surgeries? I would like to know if the incision bump on my eyelid would go down. Also can a person develop extra skin or eyelid creases after a ptosis revision as seen on my photos.

Residual Eyelid Skin after Ptosis Surgery

+2

Eyelid skin after ptosis surgery will be the rule if that skin is not removed at the same time.  Your lid used to be lower and as a result you had more skin.  Now that the lid is higher, you have loose skin.  If you and your surgeon are happy with the ptosis correction (difficult to tell the limbus and relationship to upper lid based upon angle and gaze in photo), skin removal can be done.  This is more of a cosmetic issue.   The scar you have developed should get better over the course of a year.  Good luck.

Revisional ptosis surgery

+1

Ptosis surgery is difficult and revisional eyelid surgery is even more difficult, but possible. You appear to have thick eyelid scar and possible ptosis. There are treatment options available, one being full-thickness resection technique for ptosis surgery which removes the thick scar and lifts the eyelid. A personal evaluation is needed to see if you are a candidate. Allow 6 months after your last surgery before consultation.  See an oculoplastic surgeon then.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Convalescence after revisional surgery takes longer than the primary operation.

+1

The patient enduring several revisions after eyelid surgery can expect a protracted convalescence after the most recent operation.

Ptosis Surgery Is Complicated

+1
Thank you for your question and photos. Ptosis surgery does have a high rate of revision.  It is technically very challenging, so revision is not uncommon. Swelling and skin folds are worse after multiple surgeries, but should resolve with time. Discuss your concerns in further detail with your surgeon. Best Wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis surgery is complicated business.

+1

Steffy

To be absolutely on point with you, much more detail would need to be known about your particular situation.  If all three ptosis were performed by the same surgeon, I think it might be time for a second opinion.  I think you have waited long enough since the last surgery.  The photos you have provided make it very difficult to judge the actual lid margin height.  We also have no information on what your levator function is but this is also very important.  What is obvious is that you have been left with too much skin below the eyelid crease.  This means that the eyelid platform skin is loose and redundant.  This skin also helps support the eyelashes, so you also have eyelash ptosis.  The solution to these issues is a very precise anchor blepharoplasty where skin is removed below the crease and a fresh lid crease is make at just the right height so the skin and the orbicularis oculi muscle of the lid platform attaches to the levator aponeurosis thereby supporting the eyelashes.  Unfortunately, there are very few surgeons who are actually trained and practice this surgical technique.  So please be very careful in looking for a new surgeon out there.