Post - Op? Massages, Garment, Recovery, Aftercare?

After having a tummy tuck it's known you should have massages, Where and what kind of spas provide the specific massage needed? Im having a mommy makeover AND lipo of the thighs, how long do I have to wear a knee length body shaper? Are you able to get up and move around next day? nothing strenuous, drive for example?? What are signs of infection? Can you go a few hours (4-5hrs) without wearing it after 7/8wks post op?

Mommy Makeover surgery requires good pre-op education

+2

The questions you are asking would be reviewed in detail during our pre-operative consultation visits. In general, 'lymphatic' massage is beneficial a couple of months after a tummy tuck or liposuction procedure.

Recovery After a Tummy-Tuck and Liposuction

+2

Massages often help with the reduction of swelling and to even out irregular areas after liposuction. It is best to wait several weeks or at least until you are no longer tender in the treated areas. It is important to walk the same day and the following days after surgery to help prevent blood clots. Walking to the bathroom and/or the kitchen helps with this. The compression garment, in general, is worn for at least 3-4 weeks after surgery. It can be left off for a few hours, but it is best to wear it as much as possible to keep the swelling to a minimum and allow the skin to heal evenly over the newly contoured fat. Driving should wait at least 7-10 days after a tummy-tuck, but some patients feel better sooner. These are all important questions, so be sure to get all the after care instructions from your surgeon.

Gus Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Questions about care after an abdominoplasty

+2

All of your questions are best answered by your plastic surgeon but in general:

1. Post operative massage can help temporarily alleviate swelling
  2. Most patients will wear a support garment for 2 - 4 weeks
  3. Most patients should be up and out of bed and light walking beginning the night of surgery and advanced as tolerated
  4. You will not be able to drive until you are off of your pain medications, expect not to be able to drive for 7 to 10 days
  5. Redness, drainage, warmth, fever, chills are all signs of infection

Care after mommy makeover.

+2

These questions are best answered by your plastic surgeon. In general, postoperative garments and massage are good ideas after surgical procedures you have mentioned. In my offices we offer a comprehensive or surgical plan to include garments, scar care as well as lymphatic massage and Endermologie / Smoothshapes. Please check with your plastic surgeon regarding the services prior to engaging.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+2

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.  After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours if needed.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Most of my mommy makeover patients are comfortable with driving 7-10 days after their surgery.  I generally recommend taking 7-10 days off from a desk job after a mommy makeover procedure.  Doing too much too soon can definitely increase your risk of healing problems or fluid collections (seromas).

Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.  It is very important you allow enough time for yourself and your recovery.  Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.   Please plan and give enough time for your recovery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu
houston, tx

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

The Tummy Tuck will dictate your recovery.

+1

The most limiting aspect of a Mommy Makeover is the tummy tuck.  You should expect to be limited to your house for about the first week after an abdominoplasty, and really should not even consider driving while taking pain medications!  Almost everyone will take pain meds for 3-5 days, so it would be illegal for you to drive during that time.  Somewhere between 7-10 days it will be reasonable / safe for you to consider driving, but that depends on how you feel.  You have to feel comfortable jumping on the breaks or swerving if something happens while you are driving.
Dr.B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover Post Operative Instructions

+1

You need to address these questions to your surgeon during consultation.  Follow his post op instructions for your best result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

+1

All these questions are best addressed to your surgeon who is the one responsible for your post op care. Almost all surgeons will want you up and about as much as possible beginning the day of surgery. We all have differing opinions on how long to wear compression garments, (for me it's 6 weeks maximum) but it's hard to imagine that if you were still wearing one you couldn't go without as you ask.

All the best. 

Massage is not indicated after abdominoplasty.

+1

There is no evidence that massage is any good to the progress of the wound or the ultimate result after abdominoplasty or any other operation. In the near-term it's probably contraindicated. Nevertheless all postop instructions are handled by the surgeon.