When Does a TT Scar Be Safe from Re-opening?

I'm two weeks post op and I was wondering when does the scar heal enough where it won't re open. I'm constantly worried to move certain way or stand too straight because of fear of the scar re opening. So far I'm healing well. Thank you

It varies but a healed incision at 2 weeks and beyond will be fairly strong

+2

Thank you for the question.  I can understand the anxiety about an incision possibly opening and it sounds like you are a doing a good job about maximizing your results.  Every patient heals at a little different rate and every surgeon performs their tummy tuck procedure differently.  With all that said it you are reasonably careful the chances of your tummy tuck incision opening up at this point from normal daily activities is very remote.

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/plastic-surgery/tummy-tuck.cfm

Tummy tuck incision healing

+2

You can relax a bit, at two weeks your incisions are well on their way to being healed.  There are a combination of forces at work keeping you together.  First of all, there are many buried sutures inside that are a long way from being absorbed. Second of all, your wound already is at the stage where collagen fibers are being laid down and strengthening the closure.

You should be standing up straight at this point and sleeping flat.  It is prudent to avoid stretching and twisting type movements but average daily activities should be fine. 

Congratulations, you are through the worst of it.

Doug Hargrave, M.D.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

When Is TT Scar Safe from Re-opening

+1

It takes about six weeks from surgery for the "bursting strength" of the healing incision to reach 90% of its eventual strength. Most of the dissolving sutures we use to hold the incision together last longer than that. 

By two weeks you should be able to stand erect, but if you have any specific question, it would be best to address those to your surgeon. 

Thanks for your question, and best wishes. 

Two weeks after a tummy tuck

+1

The strength of the scar depends on the tension that is placed on the suture line with the closure. Usually in suture lines that are sutured with proper tension three weeks time is my limit for resuming full activity.

Healing tummy tuck scar

+1
I think you are wise to be anxious enough not to overdo. I wouldn't worry about movement as much as resuming an exercise program too soon. If you have some tenderness, then that is your body telling you to take it easy but, in terms of normal activities of daily living, you should be fine.

Tummy Tuck Scar...

+1

Hi,

Two weeks is a good time to consider that the wound will not open.  Depending upon how your plastic surgeon closed your wounds, time is now on your side.  Of course you should not be doing excessive exercision etc but as long as you are respecting your wound, then you should be fine.  Be guided by your plastic surgeon but know that most patients worry terribly about the wound opening.  This is indeed a very rare occurance and this is due to your body depositing healing tissue in the wound but mostly because your sutures on the inside are holding the tissue together while your body "healing machines" do their work.

You will be fine.  Begin to enjoy your new curves because this is a wonderfully exciting procedure. 

Steven M. Lynch, M.D,

Albany Plastic Surgeon