Wedge or Trim Labiaplasty Techinque? Recommended NYC Labiaplasty Specialist W Many Pictures? (photo)

No children, slim, mid 20's. I want to perfect the surgery on the first time; no mistakes/ no revisions. I don't want to maintain the natural edge and darkness but do wish for a little labia left (about 2-3mm). 1)Is wedge or trim more ideal in my case? 2)Is clitoral hood reduction optional or necessary for me? 3)Is the average price $3,275 as Realself says?? 

Choosing between labiaplasty doctors and techniques in Los Angeles

+1

There are many techniques for labia minora reduction and the wedge technique is certainly suitable for your condition.  I prefer the wedge technique as it has a long term success rate with favorable aesthetics. 

Labiaplasty desires

+1

You have very thoughtful questions and concerns.  From your statements, a trim method is the only thing that can produce the result you desire.  As for a hood reduction, that is a personal choice and if you feel you have too much, it can be reduced.  Yet, some doctors reduce it too much and you have too much exposure which isn't a pleasant thing   Finally, the fee range you mention are certainly attainable... find reputable doctors with good revision policies and  make your decision on who would best be there for you throughout the entire recovery process.  Incidentally, the fees in my neighborhood are much lower then $3000.

Curtis Wong, MD

Wedge or Trim Labiaplasty

+1

There are positives and negatives with each of the two types of labiaplasty.  The trim will remove the dark tissue but almost certainly results in some irregularity of the entire labial edge.  Most women will pick the wedge and a darker, smooth labial edge than the irregularity of the trimming.  Look at magnified photos of the doctor's results to see what I mean by irregularity and then decide, as most post-operative photos by physicians are not magnified.  Usually, the wedge technique removes the darkest area of the labia anyway.

Sincerely,

Gary Alter

Gary J. Alter, MD

Wedge versus Trimming Labiaplasty

+1

Great question.  I think every individual needs a procedure that is tailored to your specific requests.  If you specifically want to remove the discolored portions of your labia minora then I would recommend the trimming technique. The wedge will not accomplish this.  I do both techniques, and I tailor my incision and surgical planning dependent on each patients needs. I am recommending trimming for you, but I will tell you, in my opinion, to get the most natural look I frequently do the wedge technique.  

It is possible to remove some of the skin around the clitoral hood with the trimming technique, although it is important that your surgeon be conservative not to remove too much skin and expose the clitoris.  I think one of the most common complications associated with labiaplasty is over-resection.  It is very important to choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon to do your procedure.  We are well versed in skin resection, and I am biased given the number of patients I have seen with complications from other physicians who are not surgeons.

I am not sure what the going rate is across the country.  I personally charge $2850.00 to do this in my clinic under local anesthesia.  I do a lot of these procedures!  I currently think that is a fair rate. 

Good luck to you!

Jennifer L. Harrington MD

Jennifer Harrington, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Best Labiaplasty Options

+1

Thank you for posting your interesting questions and photographs. Your photographs reveal hypertrophic (enlarged) labia minora with pigmented borders. If you desire post operative results, like the one you posted, you must have the edges trimmed to reduce the size, thickness and remove the dark pigmentation. A wedge reduction labiaplasty will simply not remove enough of the labia tissue and give you the results that you are seeking. The wedge reduction labiaplasty technique can also reduce the thickness of the labia minora and can create natural appearing edges. A clitoral hood reduction is not necessary and can lead to desensitizing the clitoris with constant exposure to clothing. The procedure can be performed using either local or twilight anesthesia in the office. I recommend that you speak to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, who you can discuss your personal objectives, answer all of your questions and show you consistent post operative results. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Wellington Swift

Richard Wellington Swift, MD

Wedge or Trim Labiaplasty

+1

If you do not want the pigmented area to remain intact, the trim labiaplasty is an easier procedure for the surgeon and during recovery.  There is also no chance of separation in this procedure.  This can be done for the price you quoted.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs labiaplasty with several techniques dependent upon specific desires of the patient.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Labiaplasty options

+1

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically 7-8 mm actually.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.

Glad to help... @drryanstanton

Ryan Stanton, MD

What type of labiaplasty?

+1

The fullness of your labia is throughout, so a wedge is not automatically the "correct" type of labiaplasty for you.  A trim or chalice type of pattern could certainly be considered as well. 

2-3 mm of labia length left is not enough tissue to keep your vaginal opening closed as you age.  Let your surgeon work with you on that, and be clear what the look is that you want, rather than getting out your ruler.

All surgeries have risks and no surgeon can guarantee that you will not have a particular complication.  If you insist on taking no risks it is a better decision for you not to have any surgery at all.  If you feel you can accept some risk, find a surgeon who is a good listener and has special interest in performing labiaplasty and has experience.  I think under those circumstances it is likely that you will get satisfaction.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon