How to treat and find the cause of lumps and bumps left after facelift?

2 months post op. i had hematoma. it was drained. left scar tissue which i am treating w kenalog, warm compresses, massage, ultrasound. When i smile, my cheeks look like two big meatballs and lumpy. i am afraid i have no fat left there andcmay be you can see the underneath structures? i also have a semiliquid or semifirm lump on the cheek where the hematoma was drained and my dr says it is fat. how do i treat an egg sized fat pad on my cheek? i saw another dr. he said i cnt find out what it is

Facelift and hematoma

+2
Hematomas do occur and it is neither patient nor doctor to be blamed.   You are too anxious too soon.  Wound healing takes a full year.  You will improve nicely as time moves on but at 2 months you are still early in the healing process.  Be patient and work with your doctor.  You will be fine in time.  My Best,  Dr C

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Lumpiness after a hematoma after a facelift takes time.

+1
I personally don't think it's a good idea to massage entry postoperative wound healing with massage or ultrasound. Nevertheless, over time all of this should subside.

Lumps after Facelift

+1
Dear angel, thank you for your question.Swelling after a facelift may persists from weeks to months, causing bumps or asymmetries to appear. In San Diego, we monitor our patients closely for one year to address any issues. Follow up with your surgeon to check if this is swelling versus something else and if treatment is indicated. Best of Luck.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps due to hematoma after Facelift

+1
Hematoma is a known complication of facelift surgery. After it resolves, the scarring under the skin may lead to the lumps you are noticing. Fortunately, this resolves with time and the thick and lumpy skin smooths out and softens. It can take time, however, sometimes a year, or even longer. Massaging the area can help. Kenalog is also helpful. Patience is of the essence here. All the best.

Mark Samaha, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to treat and find the cause of lumps and bumps left after a facelift?

+1
Having a hematoma in the postoperative period can prolong the healing process. If the hematoma was not completely drained, your body had to get rid of the excess blood products. It is possible the lumps and bumps you notice are because of the hematoma. However, at 2 months you are still healing. It takes a full year for a scar to mature and there is a process of remodeling the collagen which may contribute to that lumpy bumpy feeling. Please wait a little longer. 

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Disappointing face lift result

+1
  • Keep seeing your plastic surgeon -
  • Hematomas form internal scars - they take time to subside,
  • Your body has an internal scar healing cycle - at 2 months it has only just begun reorganizing the scar to make it softer and flatter. 
  • I would be impatient too if it happened to me - but wait 6-12 months to let your body heal. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Facelift at two months

+1
At two months it his still healing. I think you have to give it some more time to heal and follow closely with yrou surgeon. Good luck.

Lumpy face after facelift

+1
Unfortunately, hematomas are a known complication that can occur after a facelift. Most times it's neither the fault of the patient or the surgeon. It sounds like you are doing all of the correct things. You are still early in the healing process. I anticipate that, with time, the lumpiness will resolve. Make sure that you keep in close contact with your surgeon to ensure that you are healing normally.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Treatment of hematomas after surgery

+1
Hematomas can rarely occur after surgery - when they do there are numerous treatment options.  If they are large, drainage is usually recommended.  If small, ultrasound is often very effective and can often shorten the healing course remarkably.  I would suggest you try ultrasound three x a week to speed the healing process.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD