What Supplies Am I Going to Need if I Am Going to Travel to Have a Tummy Tuck, Liposuction and BBL?

I am considering doing it with the surgeon my aunt used in the Dominican Republic... I am from New York.

Plastic surgery tourism what do I think.

+1

We seriously discourage people from traveling to other countries for plastic surgery just because it might be less expensive. The standards of care are not the same, in case you have bad results you don’t have the same legal protections. If you are back in this country, and you have a complication it is hard to find a plastic surgeon who is willing to take care of someone else’s complication. I have seen a disproportionate number of bad results in people who have traveled abroad for their surgery.

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Ask your plastic surgeon in the DR

+1

This is one of many questions that you should ask your selected plastic surgeon. Atlanta Plastic Surgeon , Dr. Z

+1

I would ask your surgeon about that, because this will vary from surgeon to surgeon.  When I perform these two procedures together, I liposuction the abdomen, the flanks, and perform the tummy tuck first and then flip the patient to do additional liposuction and fat transfer.   The recovery following both can be very difficult.   I perform about 500 Brazilian buttlifts each year, and this procedure is the most surgeon dependent plastic surgery procedure.  About 25% of my patients have had previous liposuction and Brazilian buttlifts.  It is important to get this surgery right the first time.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts and tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/brazilian-buttlift-photo-galleries.php

Concerns about Medical Tourism?

+1

Having surgery at a reduced rate in a foreign country sounds appealing, but there are many concerns that you should consider. Generally, there is no preoperative direct discussion with the surgeon who is going to perform the surgery in order to establish any reasonable doctor/patient relationship. There are often language barriers that can interfere with your care. Even if your surgeon speaks English, the ancillary personnel like the nurses and the anesthesia provider who are involved in your care, may not. The quality of hospitals outside of the Unites States varies tremendously. Some are accredited and inspected, others are not. Even if the hospital has reasonable facilities and the surgeon has training, which may not be up to the quality of training of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the quality of the nurses and others involved in your care may be very different from that in the United States. They may have little or no formal medical education, training or credentialing.

There is usually little follow-up care. In addition, the general sanitary conditions often increase the risk of infections, including some that are generally rare in this country. There are major potential problems that may occur with traveling long distances just before and after surgery, like dehydration and fatigue, but more importantly complications including clots in the legs called deep venous thrombosis and clots to the lung which may be life threatening.

In most countries, if a problem develops, you will have little legal recourse and no ability to file a complaint either against the hospital or about the surgeon. If  complications develop after you return home, it may be difficult or impossible to obtain care from your local physicians. If problems do occur, the cost of subsequent care can be far greater than the reduced cost of the original surgery. While there are well-trained physicians in many other countries, I would suggest that you travel for pleasure or business and have your surgery closer to home.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Medical tourism

+1

Make sure you will is up to date. Also, if you have a problem what will you do? Doctors in America don't like taking care of patients who have had surgery abroad for cheap and then have problems. Remember, you often get what you pay for.

Needed supplies after surgery

+1

This question is best answered by the surgeon you've selected.  That being said, I would caution you against traveling to a different country for plastic surgery.  Standards of care are different and unless you are planning on staying for an extended period of time you may find it difficult to find a doctor in the US who will assume your care if you have complications.

Katy Plastic Surgeon