Smoking Cigs VS Electronic Cigs for SX? I Want to Be As Healthy As Possible?

I quit smoking (march 13) because im do for SX (bbl) on march 5th. I have been using an electronic cigarette called NJOY.. How safe is this relative to this particular SX? I'm not over weight and I have no underlying medical issues other than asthma. I know I won't smoke any longer as I'm truly done with Cigs but is this just as addictive since there is still nicotine?!

Smoking is not safe

+3

Stop smoking . Period. It is bad for your health and bad for your surgery and bad for everyone around you. It is good for the tobacco industry only.

Smoking vs Nicotine Containing Devices and Brazilian Buttlift

+3

Although many of the harmful chemicals in cigarette smoke are absent in these devices, the nicotine can cause an issue with blood supply.  Nicotine should be out of your system prior to surgery and should not be consumed after surgery.  Doing so can jeopardize healing and prevent the fat from living.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Electronic Cigarettes and Brazilian Butt Lift

+2

In my personal experience electronic cigarettes are every bit as dangerous as the real thing is post-operatively.  It is not safe to smoke after Brazilian Butt Lift for at least 6 weeks, if not longer.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Nicotene and Nicotene Products Not Recommended http://www.bitarinstitute.com/butt-lift-augmentation

+2
Both tobacco and smokeless nicotine products are potentially harmful around surgery. They increase the risk of infection and tissue death by limiting oxygen delivery. Nicotine is a potent vasoconstrictor that decreases blood flow to tissues including the heart.  Quitting for a minimum of two weeks before surgery and two weeks after is recommended. Consider using a smoking cessation medicine like Chantix and even alternative treatments such as auriculo-therapy to help.  All the best.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

BBL

+1

The problem with the cigarettes and fat grafting is specifically related to the nicotine which causes vasoconstriction and reduces the survival of the grafts

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Smoking and electric cigarettes before surgery

+1

There is a reason why we recommend stopping smoking before surgery. The nicotine can cause healing problems and can cause more fat loss after a BBL. Each surgeon has different recommendations regarding traditional and electric cigarettes. As part of my pre-op preparation, I give my patients specific recommendations and guidelines regarding this. You should call your surgeon as speak to him/her specifically about this. Your surgeon should me more than willing to disuss this issue with you. if they are not, they you may have chosen the wrong surgeon.

Matthew Schulman, MD