Can a revision rhinoplasty correct an overly straightened nose?

I had a rhinoplasty a year ago with a young surgeon for slightly deviated septum and bridge of nose was raised in trying to align left and right nasal bones. Also spreader grafts were used and a columellar strut graft. The unfortunate result is a wider, longer, over-straightened nose with bulbous tip and larger, flared nostrils. The nose was left too long and rigid which inhibits smile. Can a revision rhinoplasty help an overly straightened nose?

Revision Rhinoplasty for Overly Straightened Nose

+1

Without seeing you in person, it is hard to assess. I suggest you visit an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon for an evaluation, as your concerns do sound like they could be addressed with a revision rhinoplasty.

Overstraightened nose

+1

You are probably a bit early to consider a revision. Yes, spreader grafts can make the midvault of the nose a bit wide, but often this continues to come down over a number of years. I have seen noses that look much better at 4 to 8 years than they did at 18 months. I do not know what you mean by over-straightened; straight is generally good. Any of the issues you raise can be addressed in a revision but just try to wait a bit longer. I have enclosed a link to a revision rhinoplasty I did that looked good at 18 months and much better her face matured and the nose thinned on its own over 8 years.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

Without pictures it's impossible to give an opinion on what should or should not be performed. Surgery for bulbous tip can be addressed by suture techniques of the lower lateral cartilages to narrow the tip. Wide nasal bones are addressed with osteotomies while flaring nostrils can be improved with a alar plasty procedure

Revision Rhinoplasty for Straight Nose

+1

It is difficult to answer your question without seeing you or pictures of your nose. With those limitations I will say that changes can be made with revision surgery. Consult with a surgeon who specializes in revision rhinoplasty.

Nasal revision

+1

Revisions can be done, what you need and what can be accomplished would need to be evaluated with an in person consultation.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

+1

A straight nose is usually not something I would attempt to change, but an exam would be necessary to determine if other aspects can be altered to meet your goals. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA