4 weeks post op Septo-Rhinoplasty with grafts to strengthen nostrils. I have red nose, swollen tip. Is this normal?

I had the surgery 4 weeks ago, and Im now out of the country for 6 months, so cant see my doctor. I still have lots of tip swelling, but everything was ok I think. then yesterday I noticed that the tip had become very red, its very embarrassing. I've emailed my doctor and still waiting for a reply. Is this normal? there was no discolouration before, it just appeared. And today it is even more red? Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

Redness and rhinoplasty

+1
Redness after a rhinoplasty now a month out is always worrisome to me. It is best that you seee someone ASAP to make sure you do not have an infection.

Swelling and redness after rhinoplasty

+1
One month after a rhinoplasty, it would be fairly common to have significant tip swelling. I usually tell my patients that the nose will start to "look good" at about two months.

The redness, if it is something new, might be a sign of an early infection. Make sure to see a certified surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to give you an opinion. A short course of an antibiotic could save you a lot of trouble. 

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon