4 weeks post op Septo-Rhinoplasty with grafts to strengthen nostrils. I have red nose, swollen tip. Is this normal?

I had the surgery 4 weeks ago, and Im now out of the country for 6 months, so cant see my doctor. I still have lots of tip swelling, but everything was ok I think. then yesterday I noticed that the tip had become very red, its very embarrassing. I've emailed my doctor and still waiting for a reply. Is this normal? there was no discolouration before, it just appeared. And today it is even more red? Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

Redness and rhinoplasty

Redness after a rhinoplasty now a month out is always worrisome to me. It is best that you seee someone ASAP to make sure you do not have an infection.

Swelling and redness after rhinoplasty

One month after a rhinoplasty, it would be fairly common to have significant tip swelling. I usually tell my patients that the nose will start to "look good" at about two months.

The redness, if it is something new, might be a sign of an early infection. Make sure to see a certified surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to give you an opinion. A short course of an antibiotic could save you a lot of trouble. 

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon