Should otoplasty scars be located on the back of the concha, or in the fold that connects the scalp with the concha?

Where on the concha should otoplasty scars be located? I was in consulation with one surgeon and he showed me pictures that the scars run visible on the back of the middle of the concha, but from the web I saw that the scars could also be located in a much less visible place- in the fold that conects the scalp with the concha. Does that mean that the surgeon I went to is less professional?

LOCATION OF SCARS FOR OTOPLASTY

+1
My approach for every otoplasty surgery is to place the incisions behind the ear in the crease / sulcus so that they are essentially imperceptable to the casual observer. Every surgeon has a different approach, so make sure to discuss these details with your surgeon.

Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar location from otoplasty

+1
The approach for otoplasty is from the back side of the ear and once the ear is folded back that scar on the posterior of the ear ( near the retro-auricular sulcus) is rarely a problem.. Certainly worth the otoplasty surgery if you have significantly protruding ears..

G. Wesley Price, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

+1
Either option works well and the scar is well camouflaged behind the ear. Your plastic surgeon should be able to show you photos of the scars to confirm that they are well camouflaged with their chosen incision placement. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Placement of otoplasty incisions

+1
Most plastic surgeons will plan the otoplasty incision in the posteiror auricular sulcus.  In this location it will be well hidden.  

+1
With the traditional methods, the cut and its resulting scar can either be placed in the middle of the back of the ear, or also in the fold that connects the scalp with the concha. The scar is less visible in the latter case.
Then there is the new stitch method by which this cut is not made, so that visible scars are no longer created.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon