Very Narrow Upper Bridge After Revision Rhinoplasty?

I underwent revision rhino surgery a few weeks ago and I'm worried that my nasal bones were narrowed too much. My breathing is extremely constricted in the upper bridge area. Would it be possible that the narrowness of the bones has constricted my airways too much? My original nose was quite large so the difference in the air flow is drastic now. Is this tightness in the upper bridge normal after surgery? I don't remember this being a problem at all after my first rhino.Tags:

Narrow upper bridge after revision rhinoplasty?

+1

Since it is only a few weeks after your surgery, congestion may still be a factor and your breathing may not yet be 100%. There are a number of things that can cause the congestion, and it is not abnormal. Swelling following surgery may create a feeling of tightness, and this is not uncommon when osteotomies (fracturing of the nasal bones) are performed. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon regarding any immediate post-operative concerns. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Nasal obstruction after rhinoplasty

+1
Depending on a number of factors, from anatomic narrowing of the nasal bone or midvault area to internal lining swelling related to postoperative swelling, vasomotor rhinitis, allergic rhinitis, etc., nasal obstruction can occur after rhinoplasty. One of best ways to prevent excessive anatomic narrowing after rhinoplasty is to employ strategically placed spreader grafts during surgery, especially in situations of large hump reductions.

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

It can take weeks to months for breathing to return to normal after rhinoplasty

+1

It is common to have constricted breathing after rhinoplasty or revision rhinoplasty. A few of the reasons are: debris such as dried blood, sutures that are dissolving and dried mucus. Post-op swelling also continues to go down for months. Third, the surfaces are often numb so even though air is moving, the numbness gives a sensation of no airflow. Give it time. Also visit your surgeon to have the nose "cleaned."

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Difficulty breathing after rhinoplasty

+1

My guess is some of this will resolve with time.  Only a few weeks is still fairly fresh in any surgery, especially rhinoplasty.  Have patience and follow your ps advice for now 

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Narrow bridge and breathing

+1

Usually breathing issues develop if the middle vault collapses or if it is early and there is a lot of swelling. Best to be seen in person.