Is a Medpor implant really that difficult and dangerous to remove from the nose?

Had open rhino w/a small Medpor put in my septum to rotate/refine my tip 1 yr ago.Unfortunately, my nose is very big due to scar tissue/failure of the skin to contract much following a post op injury.The implant is intact, nose healed,but I am unhappy w/ result. I would like a revision, but this would my 3rd rhinoplasty & a respected revision surgeon I met with today said it would be far too dangerous/that I could not hope for a good result due to thick skin & natural scarring. Should I give up?

+1
The Medpor implants can be more difficult to remove, but I could not make a determination about a revision without examining you.

Give up?

+1
It might be advisable to seek another opinion, or two, from respected experienced surgeons with a solid reputation specifically for revision rhinoplasty. They may agree with your surgeon.....or not.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

+1
In most cases, a Medore implant can be removed. However, you may want to replace it with another material such as a rib cartilage graft.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Medpor Implants and Rhinoplasty

+1
Hi,

Yes it is possible to remove a medpor implant from the nose. I have remove several with success. The implant can be replaced with another implant material depending on your desires.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS