What Medical Conditions Should I Make Sure I'm Clear of Before Undergoing Breast Implant Surgury?

I'm close to having high blood pressure but have been taking care of myself before I get there, so are there any health issues that can make my procedure a no go?

Elective Surgery and Medical Clearance

+3

Neesie,

Let me commend you for recognizing that you should be in optimal medical condition before proceeding with elective cosmetic surgery.  Too often patients come to my office with medical conditions and don't understand this concept.  Plastic Surgery IS surgery, and no matter how minor, presents risks.  The risks need to be minimized by putting yourself in top medical condition before undergoing surgery.  An evaluation by your primary medical doctor is probably a prudent idea before proceeding with surgery.  You will be guided from there.  Good luck!

Medical Conditions to Manage prior to Breast Augmentation

+3

High blood pressure and diabetes are two issues that should be controlled prior to having surgery.  However, history and physical exam along with basic labs are a good start for determining if any additional medical problems exist.  An EKG and other tests may be necessary as well.

Questions about medical conditions prior to an elective cosmetic procedure

+2

Before you consider any elective surgery whether it is plastic surgery or surgery in general you want to be in good health.  This helps promote an uneventful recovery.  If your blood pressure is marginal then you should consult with your family physician to determine if you need to be treated.  Also a good physical examination is a start to getting medical clearance prior to surgery.   

Medical problems and breast augmentation

+2

Any patient undergoing cosmetic surgery of any kind should get a full history and physical prior to surgery.  If you have certain chronic medical conditions, you should see your primary care physician to make sure you are healthy enough to undergo elective surgery.  Breast augmentation is a relatively short procedure, so only serious medical conditions will prevent patients from having the surgery.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Medical issues and breast augmentation

+2

You should have a general physical first to make sure that you are healthy before undergoing surgery.  Good luck.

Only severe medical problems prevent the patient from having breast augmentation

+2

Breast augmentation is for the most part in operation of short duration with only a modest amount of physiologic stress. The patient's are cleared for any significant medical problems and then can undergo the procedure.

Preop

+1

As long as your high blood pressure is under control this is not a contraindication to having surgery. You should have a full medical examination and clearance prior to the procedure

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

What Medical Conditions Should I Make Sure I'm Clear of Before Undergoing Breast Implant Surgery?

+1

Risks of most plastic surgery procedures are low. Part of the reason for this is that surgeons recognize that what we do is elective, and that certain factors that may increase risk can be managed in advance to bring the risk level down to a normal baseline. 

High blood pressure is one risk factor, as are diabetes, heart, lung, or kidney disease. 

Seeing your primary physician before surgery makes sense, preferably long enough before surgery such  that any testing or treatments can be accomplished. 

Thanks for your question, and best wishes. 

Preparing for Breast Surgery

+1

Thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your decision to pursue breast implant surgery.  Most patients are very gratified by this procedure.  In terms of preparation, if you have any medical conditions such as diabetes or high blood pressure, make sure that they are fully controlled before surgery.  Increased blood pressure can increase the risk of a hematoma.  Uncontrolled diabetes can increase the risk of infection.  I would recommend a full medical evaluation by a primary care physician or internest to rule out any undiagnosed health problems such as clotting disorders or heart disease depending on your age.  If this all checks out, you should be a good candidate for the procedure.  Avoid cigarettes, do not shave your armpits later than 3 days before surgery and wash with an antimicrobial soap such as hibiclens 1-2 days before surgery.  Have your meds and garments at home and make sure you have a spouse or friend's suppord during the recovery period.  Best wishes!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon