I have an umbilical hernia and I'm having Liposuction in a month. Will my hernia cause any complications during procedure?

Hi

+2
Well you should tell about your hernia to your surgeon, theres no risk if your surgeron is a good certificated plastic surgeon, 
you should fix both hernia and liposuction, at the same time .Its very easy to do it, don't waste your money and time, 

recomendation to your surgeron is, put his finger in the hole of the herina during the liposuction to prevent canulas introduced to your abdominal cavity,
when finish the liposuction, fix the hernia
if the hernia is small or big always its better put a mesh over the hernia

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Umbilical Hernia

+2
Your umbilical hernia may be covered by your health insurance and can be repaired at the same time as your liposuction procedure. Why have two surgical procedures involving anesthesia and recovery time, when you can have one and recover at the same time? Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with a hernia

+2
Certainly, the hernia is not zero risk, but I do not believe you need to be exceptionally concerned about it and its presence is not likely to compromise the quality of your operation.  What it does suggest, however, is a weakness in your abdominal wall. If you are getting liposuction to treat an abdominal bulge, it may well be a muscle problem rather than a fat problem.  In your case it would be critical to see a board certified plastic surgeon who does more than just liposuction to be evaluated.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia will not complicate liposuction.

+2
An umbilical hernia will not affect liposuction. With the patient recumbent it will be reduced and out of harms way during the procedure.

+1
            I would not liposuction in the area of a hernia.  I would either repair the hernia first or avoid that area for liposuction. 

Umbilical hernia and liposuction

+1
My only concern is that, if you have a true umbilical hernia, I wonder whether liposuction is the right procedure for you.  WIthout a photo, it would be impossible to say.  If you have abdominal bulge as a result of the hernia, you can't expect that to go away.

Robert L. Kraft, MD