Can using ice compresses directly on your nose post septorhinoplasty distort the work that was done by my surgeon?

I used ice compresses directly on the sides of my to try and reduce the swelling. I have an excess of swelling due to my thick skin and I am 3 weeks post op. I've stopped icing the area but I would just like some reassurance that I haven't done any permanent damage in the results I can expect from my surgeon's work.

Icing after rhinoplasty

+2
First, direct icing is dangerous because it can lead to frostbite. Second after three weeks icing probably will not help. Always review instructions with your surgeon.

We recommend frozen peas in a zip-lock bag to eyes and forehead for only 48 hours following rhinoplasty surgery.

+2
Using cold compresses for longer than 48 hours in not likely useful for preventing or resolving nasal swelling after rhinoplasty surgery. If you have concerns about your nasal appearance, you should make a follow-up visit with your surgeon for evaluation.

I hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can ice compresses on nose after rhinoplasty distort work that was done?

+2
Applying ice compresses on the nose after rhinoplasty surgery should not cause any distortion to the work that was done.  If you were applying an abnormal amount of force on the nose or using ice that was too cold or too often, it is possible the nose could be affected.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon